• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card / PSU incompatibility?

Jake24

n00b
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
14
Ok, so here's the parts I got.

Intel Core i5-4430 quad-core processor
MSI B85M-G43 micro ATX motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury HX316C10F/8 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX R9-280X-TDFD Radeon R9 280X 3GB video card
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
LG GH24NSB0B DVD burner
Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550 watt modular power supply
Corsair 230T ATX mid-tower case

So, issues...
XFX R9-280X-TDFD Radeon R9 280X 3GB video card
Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550 watt modular power supply
Incompatible..?

Everything was going fine when I was building my PC until the wiring for my video card.
I looked at the quick installation guide and I saw this:
"XFX does not support the use of two 6-Pin to one 8-Pin power cable converter for these graphics cards. They are only designed to work with high performance power supplies using 8-Pin PCI Express power cable."

Now, first of all, this card came with a converter for two 6-pins to 1 8-pin. So I'm a bit confused by that.

Secondly, my PSU did not come with an 8-pin power cable.

I read this review on newegg: "you need two PCI power connectors for the 8 pin power connector on the card as well as 2 molex connectors for the 6 pin on the card."
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150678

So, I'm wondering if I'm not understanding something here. Or if I need to buy something additional. Or am I SOL, and need to return/exchange my PSU? If I am SOL, what PSU should I get?
 
I don't see how there is a compatibility problem.

The card needs a 6 pin pci-e and an 8 pin pci-e. The 8 pin is really 6+2. The power supply comes with both of these cables. See specs and pictures here:

http://www.seasonicusa.com/G-series-450-550-650.htm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

You must have just missed these cables. Check the power supply manual for details.

edit: You don't need the adapters that came with the video card. Those are for power supplies that do not have enough of the pci-cables, or if they have only 6 pin pci-e cables, but that doesn't apply to your situation.
 
XFX marketing BS. That's for the uninformed and ignorant consumer to get suckered into buying the more expensive stuff.

If you look at a PCI-E connector, the 6 pin has 3 12v and 3 ground wires. The 8 pin has 3 12v and 5 ground wires. Guess how much current flows through the 12v lines in the 6 pin with 8 pin adapter vs the native 8 pin connector? The exact same amount. 8 pin PCI-E connectors are a joke in all seriousness.
 
Back
Top