Video card problem

Raap

Gawd
I've had a 9800Gx2 since it was released, and it worked perfectly fine until about a week ago. There's a few somewhat different symptoms, but in general the problem is that the screen will suddenly just go blank. Sometimes the sound will continue normally, at other times it will just mess up. I'm 90% certain that this also freezes the rest of the computer, because if I use the power-off button that would normally force windows to close down, nothing seems to be happening.

This problem is mainly there when running 3D applications, for instance in World of Warcraft, Dead Space, X3:TC and Fallout 3, but I've had it happen a couple of times when just browsing, too. Sometimes it will come as soon as I enter the main menu in e.g. WoW or Fallout 3, at other times it will come after 1-3 hours of playing. Sometimes it won't come at all.

Yesterday I also encountered a different variation of what I believe is the same basic problem. I'd open WoW, and suddenly the screen would go black, recover with the 'Your display driver has been reloaded' Vista message, then immediately rinse and repeat a few times until I finally managed to get the WoW-window closed in between monitor-blackouts. Right after that happened I tried to run a movie using VideoLan, but there I'd get the same display driver problem. A few minutes later the card was working fine again, no problems running WoW, Fallout 3 or Crysis:Warhead.

It's an extremely annoying and unpredictable problem. Sometimes I can go hours without having it, at other times it can happen 3-4 times in 15 minutes. Any advice would be great, although I'm beginning to wonder if I'm out of luck with this card.

Things I've tried: Uninstalling and reinstalling different video card drivers, deactivating on-board SLI mode, removing and reinstalling the card physically, checking the video card temperatures( nothing out of the ordinary ), manually raising fan speed, running Prime95 and Memory Diagnostic Tool to check CPU & Ram, updating BIOS, windows and all drivers, deactivating my audio cards, removing *all* overclocks on my computer, and probably some other things I've forgotten.

A couple of times I thought I'd finally fixed it, but then after a few hours it'd suddenly crash again. But never with a blue screen or anything like that. Computer load doesn't appear to be too much of a factor either. Using a 3D application significantly increases the chance of crashing, but Crysis hasn't actually crashed yet even though it puts on a much bigger load than for instance WoW.

850W CoolerMaster PS
Q9650
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333
1x9800Gx2
Audigy 2
Integrated SoundMax

Sounds to me like you have covered all bases. Can you afford a cheap video card replacement to test with? or can any friends / relatives lend you a card for a couple of days? I think this is the easiest way to find out for sure if you have a dodgy card, my guess is that that you have.

Back