Video Card problem?

Force Flow

n00b
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
41
I've been having issues with my gaming rig where whenever I try playing a game (HL2, HL2:DM, X-Wing Alliance, etc), The game freezes and the screen goes black. I have to hit the reset button to get it back up and running. The issue seemed to start after the latest round of updates Steam released a few days ago. So, I tried to upgrade from Catalyst 6.3 to 6.5, but there was no change.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with September's Windows Updates.

Here's the hardware:
Asus A7N8X-X, AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton, 1GB DDR400 Kingston RAM, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, WD 80GB JB HDD, WD 250 JB HDD, a generic DVD-ROM 16x drive (not a burner), and an Enlight 360W PSU.

The temps are 31'C for the motherboard and 38'C for the CPU.

Now, I noticed that catalyst 6.5 is the last set to support the 9x00 radeon series. I've tried 6.5, 6.4, and 6.3 since I first upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5, but all three of these driver sets result in games freezing and the screen going black.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.
 
Nevermind, I found the problem. The video card's fan had frozen up, so a little bit of 3 in 1 oil got it up and running again.
 
Back
Top