• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card problem, need help

Arkan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
188
Built a new system today. Specs are as follows:

- Intel Xeon X3440 CPU
- ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Diamond 5870PE51G Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) Vid card
- Plextor DVD/CD Writer
- Corsair 750TX 750W PSU
- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
- OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC SSD
- Samsung 23" display (P2370)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Problem i'm having is the video card. System is not recognizing it. Installed latest drivers and re-seated the card several times. Tried the 2nd PCIex slot to no avail.
When I go to "Device manager" and to "Display adapters", only "Standard VGA graphics adapter" is shown. Nowhere is the Radeon 5870 listed.

The video card has the (2) PCI-E plugs from the power supply plugged in. The fan is also running but, obviously it's not working in my system.


Anyone have any advice and/or tips for me?
 
So the ATI drivers are not installing because the card is not recognized, right?

Try uninstalling the card by right-clicking it in Device Manager, reboot, and see if you can install the ATI drivers then.
 
have you actually downloaded and tried to install the new drivers though?
have you checked the power PCI_E lines to the card?
 
I had this happen with a 4650
I had to go into device manager and choose the drivers manually, all the device manager would pick up on it's own was "standard vga adapter".
After I picked a driver manually and it recognized the card I updated the drivers to newer ones using the ccc instal.
 
PlatinumPC:
Yes, I did d/load the latest drivers and did an install. As for the PCI_E lines to the card, I have power to the cooling fan on the video card. Other than that, I don't know. I'll have to hook up a 12v tester to check.

CanesVenetici:
How do I choose the drivers manually in Windows 7? When I click on "Display adapters", there is only "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". There is no "Radeon graphics card" to select. If I try to update the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" manually with the ATI drivers, I get this message: "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

EDIT to add: I'm scared to "uninstall" the "standard VGA graphics adapter" through device manager. Probably would lose all graphics at that point.
 
If you have 2 vga adaptors and you are able to go from card to monitor this way you may be able to install drivers.my 4850 would not work otherwise.I think there is a thread that discusses certain problems with video card and certain monitors and their drivers.
 
....EDIT to add: I'm scared to "uninstall" the "standard VGA graphics adapter" through device manager. Probably would lose all graphics at that point.

If you "uninstall" the standard VGA adapter and reboot, Windows will automatically put the standard VGA adapter back again. To manually install drivers, in the device manager, right click on the VGA adapter and "update driver software"
 
If you "uninstall" the standard VGA adapter and reboot, Windows will automatically put the standard VGA adapter back again. To manually install drivers, in the device manager, right click on the VGA adapter and "update driver software"


this is the correct solution

on a far off chance is there any chance the card might have gotten unseated? the chance of this is pretty remote
 
If you "uninstall" the standard VGA adapter and reboot, Windows will automatically put the standard VGA adapter back again. To manually install drivers, in the device manager, right click on the VGA adapter and "update driver software"

I tried that just now to no avail. Someone asked if I tried updating under the "administrator". Answer to that is yes, I just installed windows 7 a few hours ago. This is the only account on the comp.

Want to say thanks to you guys for trying to sort this out for me.
 
Try to right-click on the install file and select run as administrator. Many have had problems with different installs by just installing even when logged in as admin. :)
 
It's FIXED !!!

I ended up deleting all the drivers, then did a restart. Deleted the standard VGA drivers, then another restart.

Then I installed the drivers that came on the DVD and another reboot. VIOLA, it's working !!

Thanks again for all the advice fellas. This site is very helpful when things go awry.
 
Back
Top