Video Card Overheating - Need a Temp Fix

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey guys,

So, I have this GPU - Gigabyte Radeon 6850. The rig was built in February 2011, alongside the other parts listed in my sig. The rig itself is still plenty for my needs - I built it thinking long term, and it's served it's purpose well. So far I've only replaced the hard drive with two newer ones.

But the GPU is running hot. Even in games that aren't that graphics intensive, it's running hot. Up to about 95 C. What I'm looking for is a temporary fix for the GPU. One of the fans died, and I'm not sure if the other one is working at full capacity.

I should be getting a nice overtime check in August. I'd planned on building a new rig at that point... and since Pascal should be out by then (and possibly Kaby Lake?), I'd just as soon wait to buy a GPU until I have the extra cash and the newer options.

So... tips on dragging the life of this one out another 3 months or so? Quick fixes for the fan? I've already dusted it thoroughly and cleaned it as well as I can without taking anything apart.

Change the thermal paste. Quickest fix. After that, maybe think about getting a 92mm fan, remove the failed one and zip tie the 92mm fan to the shroud.

Hm, I could try - but I'm not sure I have the skills to pull that off. This is the first and only rig I've built, so I'm... not confident of ghetto-rigging anything. But it might be worth a try regardless - do those fans usually plug into the MoBo? I could pick up some cheap ones and screw around with it.

The shroud is the... plastic bit around the video card? If it comes off I could probably figure out a way to get a cheap fan aimed at it, thanks you two.

As for thermal paste - is there thermal paste associated with the video card? I thought that was a CPU thing.

Hm, I could try - but I'm not sure I have the skills to pull that off. This is the first and only rig I've built, so I'm... not confident of ghetto-rigging anything. But it might be worth a try regardless - do those fans usually plug into the MoBo? I could pick up some cheap ones and screw around with it.

The shroud is the... plastic bit around the video card? If it comes off I could probably figure out a way to get a cheap fan aimed at it, thanks you two.

As for thermal paste - is there thermal paste associated with the video card? I thought that was a CPU thing.
Yes. My guess its pretty old and dried up. Just like a CPU the GPU will have paste to help thermal transfer. I would be careful as GPUs dies are exposed like in the olden days for cpu's. If you are not comfortable replacing this, see if a friend or even a local member near you would be willing to help. If done wrong you can fry your video card.

Yes. My guess its pretty old and dried up. Just like a CPU the GPU will have paste to help thermal transfer. I would be careful as GPUs dies are exposed like in the olden days for cpu's. If you are not comfortable replacing this, see if a friend or even a local member near you would be willing to help. If done wrong you can fry your video card.
Huh, okay. I'm comfortable trying it if I can't get things sorted out with the fan, though I'll buy a fan to mess with first. Even if I screw it up and fry the card it's 5+ years old anyway and due for a replacement, and I like learning to do this stuff myself.

Thanks again! I have a plan!

Recommend a cheapo fan from amazon? I'd almost added this one to my cart before reading a review that said it needed to be mounted vertically (not horizontally), and that's not a consideration I'd have known to look for.

EDIT: Ah ha, I need one with ball bearings apparently. Okay, cool.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Huh, okay. I'm comfortable trying it if I can't get things sorted out with the fan, though I'll buy a fan to mess with first. Even if I screw it up and fry the card it's 5+ years old anyway and due for a replacement, and I like learning to do this stuff myself.

Thanks again! I have a plan!

It's identical to applying thermal paste for the CPU. Just unscrew the 4 screws at the back, unplug the fan header and remove the heatsink. Then clean up the existing paste with lint-free cloth + isopropyl alcohol. Then apply the new paste.

Also remember to remove the broken fan while you're at it. Should be a fun little side project.

I had this problem with a 5770 a few years back. I pulled the fans and replaced the paste as others are suggesting. It helped it last another 6mos to a year (can't remember exact length) but it did eventually die...

Back