VIdeo Card or Power supply problem??!!

oymd

Weaksauce
Here's the problem:

At startup this happens:

CIMG9182.jpg

CIMG9183.jpg

and the PC FREEZES...

This NEVER happens during actual use...ONLY AT STARTUP...never in UT3...3DMARK06...or in PCMARK05...or any benchmarks...

Could it be GIGABYTE's GAMING HUD...it almost happened when I launched it...screen went slight PINK for a nanosecond...but it went OK..and didn't freeze...I unistalled it:

gamerHUD.png

I have a 420W PS with 20 pin connected to the 24 pin socket:

CIMG9187.jpg

2 molex plugs feeding the PCI Express plug on the 8800 GT:

CIMG9189.jpg

What could the problem be?

1- Power supply not feeding enough juice?
2- Video card DEFECTIVE?

The whole rig is 4 days old...:confused:

Your PSU is not going to help being of the older type.

You dont list the manufacturer of the PSU but as it only has a 20 pin connector and no PCIe plugs I dont think it can be relied upon to give out to much on the 12v rails.

Only thing you can really do is to test the card on a different PC. It may be faulty and some of the ram only works correctly when it has warmed up, or it may be the PSU is just too weak for the starting currents (would strongly reccomend a good PSU anyway as yours is a bit old).

Just seen your sig... A Q6600 and the 8800GTS on a cheap 4 year old PSU

& just googled your PSU and found your cross post as well. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1315462 and also found that your 420W PSU gives out 50% of its power on the 5v rail, this was very good for older boards but is wrong for new systems.

Time for a new PSU from Seasonic / Corsair or another good brand.

Or get a Antec Earthwatts 500W if you want a good price / performance PSU.

However, I don't think this is a PSU issue, because the card works fine under load. It would be the opposite if the PSU wasn't good enough.

If the PSU volts were dropping to far it could cause data corruption etc that shows up as those visual errors.

Even if the card is faulty the PSU is wowefully under powered for that spec PC, not in overall power output but the power on the 12v line is just to little for a modern PC.

I guess I solved it...

It was the Gigabyte Gaming HUD software that is linked to a chip on their redesigned 8800GT that was causing the problems...

Still...I know I need a new PS..

thanks..

Back