Video Card Onboard Memory CAS latency?

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
With the new version of ATITool 0.0.22, there is a "Mem" tab right next to the Settings tab in the lower right-hand corner of the clock window. Options in the window this tab brings up include my PCB memory CAS latency, which for my Radeon 9800 Pro happens to be 5clk. Will tightening this latency to 4 improve performance, or will it fry my card? Will loosening the latency by 1 to 6 allow me a higher memory overclock, or cause sync problems? Or does it not really do any good?

I have a VGA silencer on my Pro, and it stays well cooled (65 C max under load - RTHDRBL or whatever it is :p )

t5brick

Supreme [H]ardness
i played around with memory timings when i was editing the BIOS on my GF3 card a few years ago. if i used anything other than the stock timings, i had to re-flash the BIOS back.

if you can do it within software, you're much safer to play around. if anything, you'll just need to uninstall the software to revert the timings back to stock.

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, I figured as much. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it and found any benefits or hinderances. Thanks!