Video Card Marketshare for 4Q 2013

PRIME1

2[H]4U
http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases...l-and-nvidia-graphics-winners-in-q4-amd-down/

A9AitfE.jpg

Nvidia gained .1% marketshare, AMD is obviously going bankrupt.

Couldn't resist.

AMD makes the cards for all the consoles. They are doing pretty well.

The real question is how the heck is Matrox and S3 still on that list. I have an s3 virge based card lying in my garage somewhere, I had no idea that S3 had anything to sell in the past 10 years. WTH. Even the .05% market share they had last quarter...how? I thought they were long dead.

That would be total graphics shipments to include iGPU and APU. Obviously nvidia doesn't participate in that venture, and most of those numbers could be considered "padding" in that every iGPU counts towards a shipment, but most desktops with an iGPU aren't using the iGPU. Conversely, for mobile iGPU is the sole graphics for many ultrabooks.

The graph at the top is discrete and only discrete graphic shipments, for both mobile and desktop.

The real question is how the heck is Matrox and S3 still on that list. I have an s3 virge based card lying in my garage somewhere, I had no idea that S3 had anything to sell in the past 10 years. WTH. Even the .05% market share they had last quarter...how? I thought they were long dead.

S3, I have no idea. They have been bought and sold 2-3 times in the last 10years. I didn't think they made anything after their DirectX 10.1 family.

Matrox actually has a quite a diverse array of graphic/imaging/video products that are modern and competitive for the market. They shifted from the consumer market to government/enterprise once they realized they couldn't keep up on the GPU front against ATi/Nvidia.

It does not look like crypto coin mining had much effect on the market.

I would say it had a negative effect. Because of miners the prices of amd cards went up above msrp. Making a lot of amd cards not a good buy for gamers.

Back