Video card load causing line noise

sappyse107

Limp Gawd
I don't know where else to post this and my guess is either its just how electricity works, or it is the power supply. The line noise is with the mixer I have setup for some synths that is plugged into the same outlet that the computer is on. Its quiet like I would expect with the computer on but if the video card is active, presumably using the 8 pin connector power, noise. Like a ground loop kind of noise almost.

Sure, I can pause the folding process when I really need it quiet but I have other power supplies I can swap around if that has a chance to fix this. Its a Seasonic 750 watt platinum rating. Massive overkill for a 2600x and RX580.

It might help, it might not. There's too much variability in how electronics interact to say for sure. You may want to make sure that you have a good ground connection, and having a line conditioner might help as well.

I run one of those on all but 1 synth, so that very well could do it for me if I had a 1/4 TRS version (2 of them). I run 2 cables from one mixer to the other, and if I don't have the mixer on it causes a ton of noise. With the synth mixer on feeding to the main mixer, its fine until the computer draws power from the 8 pin cables. This is where I was thinking this is just the way electricity works. Either its creating a ground loop insider the computer, or the power draw is biasing the ground different than the other wall outlet. I swapped my new computer with the old one running a video card without extra power and its always quiet running full blast on folding. Didn't think it was going to do the same thing but it was the quickest test.

I'm getting a buzzing noise when my nvidia 980ti is loaded, with my 750 seasonic gold (2013~)
I have monitor speakers so they pick up everything. It feels like interference from the power cable into the PSU because if I make adjustments I can tone it down a bit. Running power from a cyberpower 1500 sinewave UPS.

Yeah, not sure how to fix it.

Back