Video card load causing line noise

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by sappyse107, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:32 AM.

1. sappyse107

sappyse107 Limp Gawd

I don't know where else to post this and my guess is either its just how electricity works, or it is the power supply. The line noise is with the mixer I have setup for some synths that is plugged into the same outlet that the computer is on. Its quiet like I would expect with the computer on but if the video card is active, presumably using the 8 pin connector power, noise. Like a ground loop kind of noise almost.

Sure, I can pause the folding process when I really need it quiet but I have other power supplies I can swap around if that has a chance to fix this. Its a Seasonic 750 watt platinum rating. Massive overkill for a 2600x and RX580.

2. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

It might help, it might not. There's too much variability in how electronics interact to say for sure. You may want to make sure that you have a good ground connection, and having a line conditioner might help as well.

3. sappyse107

sappyse107 Limp Gawd

I run one of those on all but 1 synth, so that very well could do it for me if I had a 1/4 TRS version (2 of them). I run 2 cables from one mixer to the other, and if I don't have the mixer on it causes a ton of noise. With the synth mixer on feeding to the main mixer, its fine until the computer draws power from the 8 pin cables. This is where I was thinking this is just the way electricity works. Either its creating a ground loop insider the computer, or the power draw is biasing the ground different than the other wall outlet. I swapped my new computer with the old one running a video card without extra power and its always quiet running full blast on folding. Didn't think it was going to do the same thing but it was the quickest test.