video card issue

Cataulin

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to diagnose a Gateway LX6200. when you put in a video card that does not require power the video card works just fine. when you install a video card that requires it then its not seen. I've tried this with three different cards 6450/7850/7770. with the two 7xxx series cards I've been getting no amd graphics driver installed. but with the 6450 I get nothing. and the card is seen. is this something on the motherboard? I originally thought it was psu caused but this doesn't seem to be the case or am I wrong?:confused:

Thanks in advance!!!

Have you tried another psu? Are you using direct power cabling for the cards or adapters?

Have you tried another psu? Are you using direct power cabling for the cards or adapters?

One different PSU same issue appeared. these are single line PCIe power cables cables. the only other thing besides the mobo is the dvd drive and the hard drive.

My best guess for the pattern you are reporting:

The AMD 7000 series is PCIe 3.0, and the 6450 is PCIe 2.0.

The oldest review I can find for your system is 2008, so it's pretty ancient.

Lots of people have reported problems with getting PCIe 3.0 cards working in older systems. You just can't tell until you try one. This could be the cause of your problem, as you have tried a different PSU, and the HD 7770 is not a particularly power-hungry card.

You can try updating the BIOS (if the manufacturer offers such things), but otherwise you'll have to try a more powerful 6000-series card.

My best guess for the pattern you are reporting:

The AMD 7000 series is PCIe 3.0, and the 6450 is PCIe 2.0.

The oldest review I can find for your system is 2008, so it's pretty ancient.

Lots of people have reported problems with getting PCIe 3.0 cards working in older systems. You just can't tell until you try one. This could be the cause of your problem, as you have tried a different PSU, and the HD 7770 is not a particularly power-hungry card.

You can try updating the BIOS (if the manufacturer offers such things), but otherwise you'll have to try a more powerful 6000-series card.

I'll give it a try. I didnt think that going from PCIe 2 to 3 would be a major issue. Its acutally the first time I've seen it. I'll see if I can find a something stronger than a 6450.

Thanks!

Yeah, issues like these don't happen often, but they do occasionally. The reality is PCIe compatibility isn't as good as classic PCI was...but then it's a much faster bus, so more issues are to be expected with new revisions.

We had similar issues with first-generation PCIe 2.0 cards and older motherboards too.

It still works well over 90% of the time, and I personally have yet to encounter an issue. But still, I always sweat a little every time I upgrade a video card in an older system :D

Figured it out. Surround View was on along with the onboard causing windows to not see the 7850 properly. once I turned the onboard and surround view off its been smooth as butter.

Back