Video Card hype/enthusiasm has gone down tremendously

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funniest thing about this post, is that you've come back to edit it 5 times over 20 minutes.

I had to get my wording just right...when dealing with mentally disabled "SPECIAL" people you have to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very careful otherwise they may do something drastic like get a clue.

Opps see, I had to edit this one again too lmao.

I had to get my wording just right...when dealing with mentally disabled "SPECIAL" people you have to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very,very, very, very, very careful otherwise they may do something drastic like get a clue.

Opps see, I had to edit this one again too lmao.

Going a little overboard there, maybe ?

Going a little overboard there, maybe ?

See the funny thing is, I'm not telling you guys how to game or how to enjoy your games. If you love single monitor, low resolution gaming and three year old cards satisfy your needs then awesome man, Gold Star for you!

But I like multi-monitor gaming and even though computer games have been "consolized," I still love the multi-monitor experience better. Games like Mafia 2 and Just Cause 2 are perfect examples because they are so much more impressive/immersive with multimonitor versus their single screen and console counterparts.

And those games, along with BF3 and a slew of many other games need more powerful GPUs to handle the increased resolutions. But I know, I know, us multiscreen guys, 30" guys and 120hz guys are a niche right? Well in case you haven't noticed, tech is progressing whether you like it or not and they are coming with the 4k tvs, they are coming with 120hz ips panels, they are coming with higher res projectors...so along with that slow gradual progress, the gpus need to advance and handle it. You seem to think 1080p 60hz is an eternal gold standard that will NEVER be replaced and you are wrong...so please keep beating that horse and buggy while the rest of us indulge in a/c mechanized travel.

Last edited:
See the funny thing is, I'm not telling you guys how to game or how to enjoy your games. If you love single monitor, low resolution gaming and three year old cards satisfy your needs then awesome man, Gold Star for you!

No, you're not, but you are being a complete douchebag to anyone that doesn't agree with you. Repeatedly shitting all over anyone that doesn't see things they way you do, or make the same value judgments you do, is just plain juvenile.

I think you need to re-read the OP regarding what this thread was actually about, as in, it isn't about whether or not the 7970 is a great card that will help the niche (yes, niche, how is this even a debate) multimonitor users push even higher resolutions, higher IQ settings, etc., it is specifically making a statement that there doesn't seem to be the same level of hype/enthusiasm over this launch as there has been for previous launches.

Speaking for myself only, I am impressed by the 7970 from a technical standpoint, and think the price tag is completely fair. I just have no use for it. If you do, great, I look forward to your results with them.

But I like multi-monitor gaming and even though computer games have been "consolized," I still love the multi-monitor experience better. Games like Mafia 2 and Just Cause 2 are perfect examples because they are so much more impressive/immersive with multimonitor versus their single screen and console counterparts.

And those games, along with BF3 and a slew of many other games need more powerful GPUs to handle the increased resolutions. But I know, I know, us multiscreen guys, 30" guys and 120hz guys are a niche right? Well in case you haven't noticed, tech is progressing whether you like it or not and they are coming with the 4k tvs, they are coming with 120hz ips panels, they are coming with higher res projectors...so along with that slow gradual progress, the gpus need to advance and handle it. You seem to think 1080p is an eternal gold standard that will NEVER be replaced and you are wrong...so please keep beating that horse and buggy while the rest of us indulge in a/c mechanized travel.

It's actually sad, this isn't even about PC vs console, you're actually attacking and deriding other PC gamers and enthusiasts because they don't meet your standard of [H]ardcore.

Talk about cutting of the nose to spite the face.

. I am a firm believer that once you go multi monitor, you will never CAN never go back.

I did. Tri-fire was zero scaling in most games and 6950 Crossfire wasn't cutting it. I did see scaling in synthetics and Heaven but Crysis/Crysis 2 was negative scaling. I did see a jump in BF3 but the whole cost of it wasn't worth it to me. I just went back to a single 1080P monitor and I'll stick with my 6950 Crossfire.

I guess you could say I was doing it wrong. Perhaps if I were serious about multi-monitor, I would have gotten a pair of 580s or even tri-580s. Perhaps it's different with a 6990 and 6970 like [H] reviewed...but tri-fire 6950s were fail.

I'll wait to see what a single 7950 can do...then I'll sell these 6950s and maybe Crossfire 7950s down the line.

Man nobodys knocking you for having a life and kids, but don't use them as an excuse for not having a high end rig or having the time to relax and "play games." Plenty of married folks find the time to read books, watch tv and go to movies while raising a family, so if they can find the time to do those activities then why can't you find the time to play some games?

My wife has no problem with me getting a few hours of gaming in each day, but then again shes a smart woman that realizes it keeps me home where she can see me and not out at a bar wasting money or out somewhere else doing something much worse.

because when you grow up you choose to watch tv with your significant other or kids, or read books with them, and even yes, play games, with them, then there's everything else and all of those things are more important than video games

Where the hell do you get several disposable hours per day to game?

A typical day for me is up at 6, at work by 7, work till 5-6pm, come home and spend time with wife, helping get dinner ready, spending time with kids, eating dinner, cleaning up after dinner, spend a little more time with the kids wife and dog, help kids with homework, get the kids to bathe and go to bed, and finally around 9pm they are in the bed and then the wife and I watch a movie or some TV before bed around 11-12. That's days I don't have classes or homework. That doesn't allow for anything like laundry or if we need to go to the grocery store. I work in a professional environment and I like my clothes pressed and freshly laundered, so I take care of that one night a week.

The only place in there to have several hours to play video games would be after the kids are in bed around 9pm but to do that I have to completely ignore the wife, ignore my homework, and essentially do nothing around the house....which is not how you treat your spouse, by coming home every night after work and playing video games instead of helping out with household duties under the excuse that if they don't let you play your video games you will be unable to control yourself and will go out to the bar and get hammered drunk and in trouble....what a pathetic argument.

It's not an excuse. It's life all grown up with responsibilities and shit. It's putting video games where they belong in the priorities of life, dead last. I get to play a little on weekends, maybe a couple hours per week cumulative. I'm perfectly happy suffering with my 360 from my couch on the 55" HDTV for an hour or two a week.

Last edited:
I've done plenty of multi-monitor and I've "gone back."
Personally, to me it feels like a bad panorama behind bars if the monitors are too close and if they're too far it's like being in a car with huge blind spots. Until someone releases some kind of totally bezel-less triple monitor that's bigger than my 55" TV, I just won't have it. It reminds me a bit of the 3D glasses games back in the Sega Master System era. I think the writing is on the wall and it certainly CAN work, but right now it’s a bit half-assed. Screen tearing with vsync off pisses me off to no end…how do you think I feel about full-on black bar bezels cutting an image into sections?

because when you grow up you choose to watch tv with your significant other or kids, or read books with them, and even yes, play games, with them, then there's everything else and all of those things are more important than video games

Where the hell do you get several disposable hours per day to game?

A typical day for me is up at 6, at work by 7, work till 5-6pm, come home and spend time with wife, helping get dinner ready, spending time with kids, eating dinner, spend a little more time with the kids, wife and dog, get the kids to bathe and go to bed, and finally around 9pm they are in the bed and then the wife and I watch a movie or some TV before bed around 11-12. That's days I don't have classes or homework.

The only place in there to have several hours to play video games would be after the kids are in bed, but to do that I have to completely ignore the wife, ignore my homework, and essentially do nothing around the house....which is not how you treat your spouse, by coming home every night after work and playing video games instead of helping out with household duties.

It's not an excuse. It's life all grown up with responsibilities and shit. It's putting video games where they belong in the priorities of life, dead last.

Primarily, I work in real estate and run my own business, but I am also a writer & inventor. I was not raised with a silver spoon in my mouth and had to work the graveyard shift, full time as an armed security guard & bodyguard, for five years to put myself through college. When my wife surfs the web, I play some BF3 or Skryim....I don't have kids, but I come from a family of 5 kids and my parents found the time to read, watch tv, go to movies, travel the world, start businesses and have date nights despite only having one middle class income....it can be done.

Look, I will tell you my secret for dealing with the woman and getting game time in. Find something to distract her. Ok mine loves Angelina Jolie...LOVES HER, so I have to lower myself into engaging into Angelina Jolie versus Jennifer Aniston talks...I openly encourage my woman with the discussion and even got her a laptop so she can participate in Angelina Jolie / Aniston forums. It keeps her busy like a kitten with a ball of yarn for an hour or two while I get to game. Now dealing with your kids...shit I dunno...you guys raising kids in this day and age are more fucking [H]ard than all of us extreme rig owners put together, but thats neither here nor there. Only you can decide when and how much parenting & involvement your kid needs before you can have YOU TIME.

Last edited:
....I don't have kids, but...

:rolleyes:

Then you have no business saying shit to him about what he should be doing with his time.

In fact, you have no business telling anyone else how to prioritize their lives, kids or not.

Who the fuck are you ?

I bet the part you can't comprehend, is not only should he be making the choice he's making, in prioritizing his family over his hobbies, but I'd bet for the most part, he prefers it that way, especially if his children are still young.

We all have our selfish moments and thoughts, but once you have kids, you stow that shit.

All of which has nothing at all to do with the OP, the rest of the thread, or anything else relevant.

EDIT: Are you just trolling ? Seriously ? You HAVE to be, at this point.

IMO the card is definitely overkill for 1080p gaming. For how much you spend, if you aren't on a 30" IPS or Eyefinity, probably a waste of money. I'm going to get a 7970 because my next purchase is going to be either a 30" or a 24x3 Eyefinity set up (haven't decided yet).

Actually fuckhead.. I am not telling him how to live his life or bide his time. AND WHILE I DONT HAVE BIOLOGICAL KIDS, MY WIFE DOES YOU FUCKING IDIOT..so yes I HAVE A STEPCHILD!

Instead of reporting you or going back in fourth with your nonesense I am now putting you on the ignore list as you are truly quite the epic LOOSER troll.

Then you have no business saying shit to him about what he should be doing with his time.

In fact, you have no business telling anyone else how to prioritize their lives, kids or not.

Who the fuck are you ?

I bet the part you can't comprehend, is not only should he be making the choice he's making, in prioritizing his family over his hobbies, but I'd bet for the most part, he prefers it that way, especially if his children are still young.

We all have our selfish moments and thoughts, but once you have kids, you stow that shit.

All of which has nothing at all to do with the OP, the rest of the thread, or anything else relevant.

EDIT: Are you just trolling ? Seriously ? You HAVE to be, at this point.

Primarily, I work in real estate and run my own business, but I am also a writer & inventor. I was not raised with a silver spoon in my mouth and had to work the graveyard shift, full time as an armed security guard & bodyguard, for five years to put myself through college. When my wife surfs the web, I play some BF3 or Skryim....I don't have kids, but I come from a family of 5 kids and my parents found the time to read, watch tv, go to movies, travel the world, start businesses and have date nights despite only having one middle class income....it can be done.

Look, I will tell you my secret for dealing with the woman and getting game time in. Find something to distract her. Ok mine loves Angelina Jolie...LOVES HER, so I have to lower myself into engaging into Angelina Jolie versus Jennifer Aniston talks...I openly encourage my woman with the discussion and even got her a laptop so she can participate in Angelina Jolie / Aniston forums. It keeps her busy like a kitten with a ball of yarn for an hour or two while I get to game. Now dealing with your kids...shit I dunno...you guys raising kids in this day and age are more fucking [H]ard than all of us extreme rig owners put together, but thats neither here nor there. Only you can decide when and how much parenting & involvement your kid needs before you can have YOU TIME.

We all have to make our own decisions in life, i spent many many hours gaming on a high end pc before I had kids. I even ran electric and network cables and converted part of our garage into my "mancave" where I would spend at least a couple hours a day playing online, overclocking, benchmarking, voltmodding, water cooling, you name it....

Then I had kids. So yeah, between a 50 hr a week job, wife, two kids, pets, home, and school, pretty much no room for a high end pc to get 10% better graphics and mods. even recently I was into a pc game mod for crysis, but alas I found I had no time for it, so i just said oh well and gave it up, sold my rig, got a laptop for school work and closed that chapter in my life. Even my wife was amazed that I would give it up.

One thing I don't have is me time, but that's ok.

take it easy, we are discussing it civilly, we don't have to agree to get along ;)

Meh. Not going to shit on this thread.

Could be that I'm just getting really into computer hardware after a few years of sitting back and watching it go by, but at current, I'm pretty excited to see what nVidia and AMD are releasing.

We all have to make our own decisions in life, i spent many many hours gaming on a high end pc before I had kids. I even ran electric and network cables and converted part of our garage into my "mancave" where I would spend at least a couple hours a day playing online, overclocking, benchmarking, voltmodding, water cooling, you name it....

Then I had kids. So yeah, between a 50 hr a week job, wife, two kids, pets, home, and school, pretty much no room for a high end pc to get 10% better graphics and mods. even recently I was into a pc game mod for crysis, but alas I found I had no time for it, so i just said oh well and gave it up, sold my rig, got a laptop for school work and closed that chapter in my life. Even my wife was amazed that I would give it up.

One thing I don't have is me time, but that's ok.

take it easy, we are discussing it civilly, we don't have to agree to get along ;)

Yea, but Im not an extreme gamer either...Ive got 85 hours logged into bf3 and 50 logged into skryim and thats all I pretty much played since they came out..so thats what 135 hours over two months...so figure a little over two hours average a day. I mean its not like Im puttin in 8 hours a day....somedays I might do 3-4 and some days I might not play at all.

Also, my gaming rig doubles as my work rig. This computer is what I make my primary living off of so its easier for me to justify its expense and its easier for my woman to accept it.

EDIT: Oh man I love that ignore button, just makes the world so much more pleasant!

Last edited:
3:16PM

...I don't have kids, but I come from a family of 5 kids and my parents...

4:22PM

AND WHILE I DONT HAVE BIOLOGICAL KIDS, MY WIFE DOES YOU FUCKING IDIOT..so yes I HAVE A STEPCHILD!

Yeah, you've been civil, he's been anything but.

Relevant to the thread, I think a part of any lack of enthusiasm is how what you're working with now compares to the new gen. The feature I was most impressed by with the 7970 was power consumption. Not that perf isn't great, it just isn't particularly useful for the un[H] among us.

I did. Tri-fire was zero scaling in most games and 6950 Crossfire wasn't cutting it. I did see scaling in synthetics and Heaven but Crysis/Crysis 2 was negative scaling. I did see a jump in BF3 but the whole cost of it wasn't worth it to me. I just went back to a single 1080P monitor and I'll stick with my 6950 Crossfire.

I guess you could say I was doing it wrong. Perhaps if I were serious about multi-monitor, I would have gotten a pair of 580s or even tri-580s. Perhaps it's different with a 6990 and 6970 like [H] reviewed...but tri-fire 6950s were fail.

I'll wait to see what a single 7950 can do...then I'll sell these 6950s and maybe Crossfire 7950s down the line.

Ya, that's mostly dual screen that is crazy addicting. I honestly didn't like triple screen at first, but I like(love) my RTS games on it, and most other games I play in windowed mode with my VM's on the left monitor and browser, pandora, encoding, compiling, netflix and/or movies on the right.

I would love an ati card that can equal or beat my 2x470's in performance. I honestly want to go back full time to linux, but you cant run 3 screens on 2 nvidia cards very will on Linux side. The last two times I tried to use an ATI card on Linux it was a god damn disaster both times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back