Video Card goes *POP*

Rocksta107

Limp Gawd
So I boot up my comp today and hear a POP and the comp won't boot up. The only thing I can see after opening the case is that the VidCard Fan is not spinning, but the light is on. I don't know why that would keep the comp from booting up so it looks like I might have to RMA the whole system.

*SIGH* this has been a nightmare.

I can't see any blown capacitors visibly, I never smelled anything and it seems to be powering SOMETHING at least as the rest of my system has power. CPU fan spins fine etc...

I would also note, it's a nice corsair PSU. I don't know if this matters, but the power button turns the system on, but I have to hit the switch on the PSU to turn it off.

The drives certainly are spinning. I would say everything seems to be working except the Video Card fan and the *beep* you should hear when a system cold boots. The Case fans, lights, hard drives, indeed even the light on the video card indicating some matter of power is on. The only reason I don't think it's video only is the lack of the beep from cold boot.

toss in a spare vid card to make sure its not your card (pci or pciex16)

I tried the CMOS jumpers to be sure, no luck. I don't have a spare PCI card (This comp is on AGP) so I'm going to have to be creative. Thanks for all the posts so far!!!

280 gtx ?

yes, the brand new agp edition 280gtx.

are you even reading?

OP, it might be a good idea to find a loaner AGP card to test out. the obvious factor is the vidcard fan isn't spinning. i'd check that out first, seeing as how everything else seems normal.

Try removing the video card, and booting. You should hear three beeps (1 long, two short), which is the signal for no video detected.

If you hear the beeps with the card removed, but hear NO BEEPS with the card installed, then it is definitely your video card.

If you hear no beeps even with the card removed, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Try removing the video card, and booting. You should hear three beeps (1 long, two short), which is the signal for no video detected.

If you hear the beeps with the card removed, but hear NO BEEPS with the card installed, then it is definitely your video card.

If you hear no beeps even with the card removed, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

+1

no beeps with the card removed would equal not goodness + expand troubleshooting tree.

That sounds great, I'll give it a shot and let the forum know.

(BTW my backup comp is AGP, so I cannot swap that into the new comp. The broken comp is a new 280 GTX PCI-E)

Took the video card out, and nothing changed. Seems to be beyond the video card.

Any chance the mobo has a 2 character LCD display on it? If is, what does it display when it hangs?

Assuming it doesn't (or you would have posted it already I'm sure) and it's a corsair psu, my guess is it is the mobo that went toasty. Try removing it and inspecting it for any broken traces or blown components.

Any chance the mobo has a 2 character LCD display on it? If is, what does it display when it hangs?

Assuming it doesn't (or you would have posted it already I'm sure) and it's a corsair psu, my guess is it is the mobo that went toasty. Try removing it and inspecting it for any broken traces or blown components.

Good idea, I'll take everything apart tonight and see if anything looks fishy.

Good idea, I'll take everything apart tonight and see if anything looks fishy.

If you've heard a pop, there should be visible damage somewhere. If you can't find it on your mobo, then I guess start looking at your PSU. It could be you blew the 5v or 3.3v, but the 12volt is still ok, hence your CPU fans come on. Dunno though, speculating outside my area of knowledge now. I'm much better at frying things than fixing them :D

If you've heard a pop, there should be visible damage somewhere. If you can't find it on your mobo, then I guess start looking at your PSU. It could be you blew the 5v or 3.3v, but the 12volt is still ok, hence your CPU fans come on. Dunno though, speculating outside my area of knowledge now. I'm much better at frying things than fixing them :D

I called ASUS, Corsair, and MSI and they all think it's the Mobo. Corsair said if any of the Rails are fried, the system would not power up at all. I'm going to take my comp to a system builder locally and test the component's individually to see if the Video Card and the PSU and the RAM is ok.

I called ASUS, Corsair, and MSI and they all think it's the Mobo. Corsair said if any of the Rails are fried, the system would not power up at all. I'm going to take my comp to a system builder locally and test the component's individually to see if the Video Card and the PSU and the RAM is ok.

Ok, like I said I don't know much about how PSUs are built. When I was working in an animatronics shop we did power systems through voltage regulators and such, so it was possible to fry a single voltage and the others would still work. Not terribly surprised a quality PSU is more advanced than that.

Back