• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card for SG-01

[LYL]Homer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
4,209
What's the best video card I can get into an Silverstone SG-01? With the hard drive cage in place there is 10.0". I'd *really* like to stay within this dimension, otherwise I have to lose one drive and mount the primary in a 5.25" bay adapter (this would give about 14" clearance).

So what's the most powerful 10" card? Dual slot or extra wide on the fan assembly is ok, I don't have any other cards in this pc.

Thanks!
 
an 8800gt will run most current games (short of crysis or GTA4) @ 1680x1050 but it is no longer considered a "bomb" in any respect. It should fit in either the SG01-E or SG01-F but stick to the F model if you have anything bigger than that or look up the drive cage mod.
 
I have an SG-01 (think it's the E, Evo version). I also have an 8800GT in there now but I have an opportunity to sell this card at a decent price and I could upgrade my own card. I may just do this and take out the drive cage then.

Yeah, I know that an 8800GT is getting a little "old" now, but it has been performing pretty decently, just would like to upgrade since I can.
 
Some review sites lists the length of the cards. Your sure way of finding out (through your own research) is to just Google a card of interest with the right keywords (y'know, like "gtx 260 length", "4850 length", etc.). Might be obvious but hey, many people (not pointing fingers...) even here don't know how to google :D
 
the sapphire 4850 is more than a centimeter shorter than the reference design. You'll be able to fit that in there. Anything more powerful will certainly be longer.
 
I looked around a bit more, did some googling (conflicting dimensions, are they measuring to the back plate or the tab on it?), and decided to get a GTX 260 and rearrange the drives. Newegg had an MSI branded card for $199 no rebates and free shipping, I couldn't help myself.

Considered the 4870 as well (similar price/performance), but generally there were a few more comments about it being louder and/or running hot versus the GTX 260 being more often said it ran cool and/or quiet.
 
Back
Top