Video Card for Dell Pre-Build System

atrance5

2[H]4U
This may seem silly, I don't have much experience with pre-built systems.

It's a Dell Desktop. The thing is the Motherboard is a bit different. The Graphic Card ports go out to the right, not to the left. I'm not sure whether the motherboard is simply positioned differently or is actually a different format.

Anyway, he needs a new GPU. Can I just get a regular GPU and simply have it installed the other way around? Or is it like a special Card that those systems need.

Usually the GPU is positioned with fans at the bottom, PCB at the top, and ports to the left. With this Dell it's exactly the opposite. I don't have the system with me, I just glanced through a few pictures.

the card orientation does not matter, can even be vertically without any kind of issue, the only thing you have to take into consideration is what PSU have that system, generally pre-built system comes with very low powered PSU.. what processor have the system?. what will be the use of that machine? gaming? movies?.. etc..

Is it a small form factor system that has a riser card? Can provide more info with the model number and about how big it is.

Two concerns:
1) power supply
2) fitment

If you're just looking for any video card to output video then the power supply might not be much of an issue. As for fitment, most low-end video cards should fit but if you're unsure then you would want to measure from the and of the case parallel to the PCI-E slot to see how much room you have between the back of the case and whatever object is on the other side (usually a heatsink of fan housing). Video card dimensions are usually given in the specs.

It's a regular sized XPS Tower.

Looking at the pictures ( sorry they are on my phone ), it has two PCI-E slots, and has plenty of clearance (length wise). So a two-slot card ( DC II ) should fit.

I was only worried about it being a special card, seeing how the motherboard has a very different layout.

So if it works, then I'll grab him a NVIDIA 650 or something around there. System came with 8800GTX originally ( that card died ).

If its a Dell from a few years ago then it will probably be a BTX layout. Everything is upside down and round the wrong way but normal cards will fit. Only thing to worry about could be PSU but if it came with an 8800GTX then it should be enough.

Yup it will work fine... I have a old HP DX-2400 for my secretary that the motherboards is placed in the left side panel, not in the right as majority, so when i installed a GTX 560 DS it was pretty weird with the fans upside so it throw part of hot the air upside wich its even better.. So nothing to worry about..

well if it came with an 8800GTX anything with a lower power draw should be fine with that PSU.

Back