• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Video card for basic internet/msn/office computer

Kryogen

Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
937
Which video card should I get with a basic internet/msn/office computer? Q6600, but wont play 3 d games and stuff.. probably going with gigabyte EP45-DS3R, but I wont game with it. I just want ultra fast windows and internet.

Which video card do I get? no crap, but no 4870.

Thx
 
Just get a mobo with onboard? Or the cheapest card that you can find.

Theres really no reason to spend money on a Graphics Card if you wont be doing any gaming at all.
 
those gigabyte boards dont come w video right?
whats a good/cheap video card then? or board w video for q6600?
 
HD 4670 $80

HD 4650 $70

HD 3650 $40-50

HD 3450 $20-30

all found on Newegg at time of this post.

I went with AMD for price and gaming aswell as non gaming functions at the low end Blu ray play back etc etc HTPC stuff.
 
You probably don't need a P45 board if you are not planning on gaming or modding. I think you should look into the intel G31, G33, or G35. They all have on board graphic and should work with a Q6600 pretty well.
 
If you still insist on using a dedicated graphics card, newegg has the 9600GSO 384mb ram for $50 (after $50 mail in rebate).

Used, you should be able to find some old 7600gs for cheap if you don't mind ebay.

However, I agree with htphm42 on getting a G33 motherboard.
 
Id still like a P45 board with a dedicated video card.

Which video card would be considered basic (but not crap) nowadays? And cost less than 100$?
Suggestions? Just building a comp for my GF but I dont want to buy her a crap mobo w onboard video IF she ever wants to play a 3d game...
 
Go the the hot deals forum, 9600 GSO for $35 AR is the best deal you will find. It's been going in and out of stock but if it comes back in I would grab it.
 
I just want ultra fast windows and internet.
Why are you wasting your money???:eek:

Get some cheapo motherboard with the on-board graphics and call it a day.

Spending extra on the motherboard and graphics card won't make your internet browsing or windows experience any "faster".
 
When I built a PC for my mum I went with integrated to keep the cost down and it works great. Vista Aero runs great at 1680x1050 and it has got both DVI and VGA outputs. I believe it was Radeon HD 3200 graphics.
 
Get a Mac.

Lol, just kidding, all cards mentioned are good. There is a passive cooled Nvidia 9400 I saw on TigerDirect that might be good too.
 
what about geforce 9500 GT? cheap with rebate

better than that radeon, right?


the 9500GT is a piece of crap your better off getting a AMD HD 4670 for 80 bucks if u want a card that can play games great for the price. otherwise like i said in my above and seemingly ignored post get a HD 3650 for 50 or less.

check out thuis review for why the 9500GT and the 9600GSO are not worth the time or money when the 4670 is avail.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15559

4670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121274

3650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261021

2400XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125076
 
He's straight and doesnt prefer hanging out at Starbucks

I guess since I use Windows, Linux, and OS X on a variety of hardware which includes stuff from Apple I must be bi-sexual with a beastiality streak? ... don't tell my girlfriend! :rolleyes: Some people's kids...
 
I guess since I use Windows, Linux, and OS X on a variety of hardware which includes stuff from Apple I must be bi-sexual with a beastiality streak? ... don't tell my girlfriend! :rolleyes: Some people's kids...

That is all true then.
 
I recomend a NVIDIA Geforce8400m gs got it in my laptop i can play crysis with it at 25fps steady
 
Stop lieing to yourself :p

I'm not a liar. I'm Canadian! We go to Tim Hortons out here.

Nothing wrong with macs either, just another BSD based platform with a nice interface. I am a UNIX / LINUX / APPLE systems admin, I like em all except Windows. :p
 
lol tim hortons every one in canada goes there ( i am canadian)

I practically go everyday for breakfast and lunch. :cool:

As for the OP's question, everyone mentioned good basic cards. I'd say look into a 4670.

Any 4670 brand from Newegg will do.
 
A 4670 is overkill for his needs. Grab a cheap Radeon 3450 (or even 2400/2600), Nvidia 8400GS, etc. Heck, even a freebie used Radeon X300/1300, Geforce 7200, etc, would still be plenty.

If possible, get one that is fanless to reduce noise. You might not mind a loud fan nearby while playing your 3D games for a couple hours -- but for 8+ hours every day in an office environment?
 
Back
Top