Video card for a 2.08 Ghz processor

MuLLinS

n00b
I am currently using a VisionTek Radeon x1300 for my HP a500n, 1Gig Ram, 2.08 GHZ machine, and I am not happy with the FPS performance in the games i play such as World of Warcraft. The card can go up to around 70 FPS, but usually hovers around 12-20 FPS in end game dungeons and goes down to under 10 during some Bossfights. I was thinking of buying a Link to Videocard, but will my 2.08 GHZ processor bottleneck the performace..or will I still see a large increase in performance in upgrading to that card?

I do not have the money at the moment to buy a new comp, So i'm hoping I can just buy aan above-average Video card to help the issue.

well, i had about the exact same comp as u did b4 i upped to the 1 in my sig, well let me tell u the 2ghz p4 does bottleneck u a bid, but u still will see most of the 7800gs shine through, but for wow a 6800gs or so would suffice, but a 7800gs would help in newer games, but a processor upgrade is needed soon

It does seem that a 6800GS would be very good for your needs. Plus if you're lucky, you can unlock it to be almost as powerful as a 6800 Ultra. Word of advice, though, it is pretty power-hungry. So if your power supply isn't up to snuff (Over 350 watts and made by a quality company, I'd say) you would also have to upgrade your power supply to be able to run the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045

coolxboxgamer said:
well, i had about the exact same comp as u did b4 i upped to the 1 in my sig, well let me tell u the 2ghz p4 does bottleneck u a bid, but u still will see most of the 7800gs shine through, but for wow a 6800gs or so would suffice, but a 7800gs would help in newer games, but a processor upgrade is needed soon

If x1300 came with the computer than it's definitely not p4... It's a athlon.

I just ordered the 6800 GS, and I will update in the future to say how well it works.

Thanks for the help, the 6800GS's price on Newegg is a steal..i bought the x1300 for 200 bucks at Best buy...returning it promptly.

always buy the best card you are willing to afford. regardless of how limiting your cpu might be.

the x1800xt 256mb is $199 on newegg right now.

Marvelous said:
If x1300 came with the computer than it's definitely not p4... It's a athlon.
it didnt come with the x1300. the x1300 wasnt even around when that comp was on the market. it is an Athlon XP 2800 that came with VIA integrated graphics.

it also probably has a 250watt psu so forget about anything above a 7600gs. nobody even asked what resolution he was using either. some of you guys should take a few minutes and actually do a little research and ask the right questions before making comments.
;)

Back