Video card for 2405FPW: Which one ?

dnenciu said:
Ok here is my reply to the people that said that I should add the custom res in the nv driver I did that and it did not work is not just the card is a combination of the screen and card.

I added the custom res and I got a signal out of sinc message on the screen so the conclusion is with nvidia dvi is a hit and miss thing.

And I can tell you on a big screen like that the diff between vga and dvi is like night and day and if you dont believe me give I have pics to prove it anybody interested i can send you the pic.

Now on to nvidia vs ati they both have good and bad points but if you need dvi on a big screen I would take ati over nvidia anytime.
what screen are you using?

a r9500pro should work fine with the dvi input correct? i wont be gaming on it or atleast not in the native res.

hi, 6600GT support 1920x1200@60hz on DVI ?

My 6600GT is a CLUB3D and the manual say:
2D DISPLAY MODES:
Dual integrated 10 bits per channel 400 Mhz RAMDAC
integrated 165 Mhz TMDS DVI transmitter chip
integrated tv-output support up to 1024x768.

dunno abt CLUB3D, but 6600GT's should support 1920x1200@60hz with zero prob..

I have an AGP 4x mainboard, so my choice was the Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600. The Sapphire is FANLESS (mandatory after owning an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon). The smaller the fan, the bigger the noise (they have to spin alot faster to move the same air). Here's the specs:

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600/325MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/400MHz
BUS: AGP 4x/8x
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI Connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Cable/Accessories: 1 Cable, Driver CD
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

You can pick it up for <$100 shipped in the retail box from Newegg. ;)
ATI's site says the refresh rate at the above max resolution is 60 for their 9600 -- the Sapphire is 15Hz higher.

BTW

The lesser Radeon 9x00 cards cannot handle 1900x1200 through the DVI. You need 9600 or better.

BigBalla said:
Hello all: I am about to order the 2405fpw, and I had a question. The native resolution is 1920 x 1200 @60hz. My video card shows that I can display at 1920 x 1200 but only at 75hz. Can someone please explain to me why or if we need to run the monitor at 1920 x 1200. Is this required for the full widescreen effect or will any resoltion that we select still be "stretched" to fit the entire screen. If your video card is not capable of 1920 x 1200 are you Sh#t out of luck?

if your vid card can do 1920x1200@75hz, chances are you can make it do 60hz. I have a GF3 Ti200 (ancient!) and I edited the .inf file to add 60hz and voila!

HKR,, NV20_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%, "32 1920 1200 75 85 0"
->
HKR,, NV20_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%, "32 1920 1200 60 75 85 0"

Maad said:
Looks like my dell 8600 will be out of luck... Funny how the 5200Go on the dell won't do it but Apple's will and not only that but has DVI..

Sheesh :rolleyes:

i have a feeling that you can probably just force your card to do it and it might work... they just dont think its a "good" idea... psh whatever

subrandom said:
i have a feeling that you can probably just force your card to do it and it might work... they just dont think its a "good" idea... psh whatever

I'd agree with you that it's probably hackable in some way or another but unfortunately, well, the fx5200Go drivers from Dell totally suck ass and don't even offer that resolution or a way to add it on your own.

I have never figured out how to install nvidia's actual detonator drivers on my dell i8600 and from all the information I can find so far it appears that I actually can't do it! :rolleyes: If anybody knows otherwise then i'm all ears..

The closest available mode dell's 5200go driver offers is 1920x1440, and that's obviously a no-go for the dell 2405FPW :( There are nowhere as many available modes in "list all modes" as on my desktop's nvidia driver (a 256mb fx5600).. and there is none of that advanced tweaking available that detonator lets you do, i.e the "change resolutions" item is altogether missing from dell's crappy driver.. It's bizzare, I know..

Anybody know how to hack around this ?

Maad said:
nice
It must be accurate too, because the ONLY connector on that thing (other than s-video) is DVI :D

Don't forget, you can get VGA form the DVI connector as well, hence the higher resolutions...

nBd

The screen I was using was a 23" Benq fp231w thats a wuxga screen (1920x1200) now the thing is that the screen combined with the video card (6600gt msi nx6600gt agp) was not working at full res in dvi tried all the things listed on this and other forums and I would always get an out of sync message on screen.

For the dvi vs vga question here is a blow out of the 2 side by side:

http://mikem1230.tripod.com/pics/

Now tell me if you can see the difference and guess wich is dvi.

dnenciu said:
The screen I was using was a 23" Benq fp231w thats a wuxga screen (1920x1200) now the thing is that the screen combined with the video card (6600gt msi nx6600gt agp) was not working at full res in dvi tried all the things listed on this and other forums and I would always get an out of sync message on screen.

For the dvi vs vga question here is a blow out of the 2 side by side:

http://mikem1230.tripod.com/pics/

Now tell me if you can see the difference and guess wich is dvi.

well , *cough*

Kinda hard to tell with all the garbage from jpeg compression now isn't it :D

The reason some cards do not work with this panel is because 1920x1200 is beyond the single link DVI spec. Theoretically you can do 1920x1200 with 147m of bandwidth but the display cards TDMS would have to be working perfectly. I'm guessing that the display's EDID is reporting the display as lower than 60hz to compensate for this and work with a wider audience of cards.

Ideally, you want a dual link card like Apple recommends or requires for their displays.

XFX 6600GT can do dual link DVI. I don't think there are too many more gaming cards for PC's that can.
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND

almostinsane1 said:
The reason some cards do not work with this panel is because 1920x1200 is beyond the single link DVI spec. Theoretically you can do 1920x1200 with 147m of bandwidth but the display cards TDMS would have to be working perfectly. I'm guessing that the display's EDID is reporting the display as lower than 60hz to compensate for this and work with a wider audience of cards.

Ideally, you want a dual link card like Apple recommends or requires for their displays.

XFX 6600GT can do dual link DVI. I don't think there are too many more gaming cards for PC's that can.

Curious, do you work for XFX? Curious more - 1920x1200 is out of the supporting range of the single link DVI? Where did you get that piece of info from? You are saying only dual DVI cards work with this monitor? :rolleyes:

I am now officially SCARED....

This was posted in other threads, but I think everyone should check it out if you haven't already:
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/index.html

One important piece of information from the article is that 1920x1200@60Hz is just beyond the 165MHz BW of a single transmitter if full CRT blanking is used. One "typical tom's" comment from the article is how the writter says the external silicon image transmitter eye diagram is poor on the 6800U they tested. When in reality it is an excellent waveform and DVI is also silicon image's spec, so you think they would ship product that met their own requirements. The internal transmitter on the 6800U is another story however.

hiro_kunimi said:
radeon 9550 can handle :)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=604

1920 x 1080 75Hz
1920 x 1200 75Hz
1920 x 1440 75Hz
2048 x 1536 65Hz
nanobaud said:
Don't forget, you can get VGA form the DVI connector as well, hence the higher resolutions...

nBd
My All-in-Wonder Radeon used the VGA dongle, nanobaud, and DVI couldn't handle resolutions as high as the VGA.

However, since the ATI site doesn't list the ranges in the specs for the 9550 chip, I could not verify one way or the other, so I didn't bother shopping for one. Always nice to know that someone here has my back and can add to the knowledge base. Thanks hiro_kunimi ;)

almostinsane1 said:

Gah, yet more misinformation.

Yes, 1920x1600x60Hz is beyond the original DVI spec, but there are two ways of overcomming this - either reducing the refresh rate below 60Hz and so fitting the signal in the allowed bandwidth, or you can get additional bandwidth for the display signal by reducing the blanking period between each row.

The DVI spec was written to allow for CRT's connected over DVI, and so had to allow long enough after each row for the electron beam to flyback to the start of the next row - the 'blanking period'.

With LCD's you don't need this length of time, and so by reducing it you get more time for the display signal, and are so able to fit 1920x1200x60Hz into the available bandwidth.

Now, a good number of recent cards will allow 1920x1200x60 over DVI, but the question is are the transmitters up to it?

Generally, Nvidia cards have poorer integrated transmitters, and so while the higher end ones will probably work (6800 series at least), they're more likely to give noise on the signal. Now, if you get an Nvidia card with dual DVI outputs then the second channel will be using an non-integrated better quality transmitter, and so should do a better job.

ATI generally does a better job with their integrated transmitters, and so you're more likely to get it working fine on a single DVI output card. I actually got 1920x1200x60 working on my laptop with a built in ATI 7500, but did get a bit too much noise for me to want to use it long term. Works great on a ATI 850 XT PE - bit then it better!

Don't confuse dual-DVI (which is two DVI connectors on a card) with dual-link DVI, which is using one single connector to transmit two DVI channels.

Dual-link is only needed for displays like the apple 30" - i.e. anything OVER 1920x1200x60Hz, and is VERY hard to get on a consumer card. Only cards known to officially support it are the workstation ranges (such as Nvidia's FX3400 where you're going to pay more that the cost of the dislay), and the special 6800 Ultra verison made for apple, which only works in a Mac.

Any experience with the Asus A9250 GE/TD on 2405 FP ???
Does native Res (1900x1200) work via DVI ? Or is it affordable by reduced blanking ?

I really don't think it matters what videocard you get today, as long as it is no older than 2000....

I don't know how much cash you want to spend, but you've got a hell uva lot a choices to pick from

ATI:

Radeon 7200
X300
X400
X500
X600
X700
X800
ect
ect
ect

Nvidia
Geforce Ti4200
... lol

Odd question. Nearly every videocard on the market today runs at a capable 2048x1586

Haloevo said:
I really don't think it matters what videocard you get today, as long as it is no older than 2000....

I don't know how much cash you want to spend, but you've got a hell uva lot a choices to pick from

Odd question. Nearly every videocard on the market today runs at a capable 2048x1586

Yeah, but that's not the whole story. Not only does the card need to support 1920x1200x60, it also needs to support it over DVI, and then needs a good enough quality transmitter that you don't get too much noise.

As I said above, the ATI 7500 in my laptop did support it, but gave too much noise for me to be happy with it.

Shure via VGA this Resolution is possible but not via DVI !
Plenty of cards are only capable to display a res of 1600x1200 via DVI without reduced blanking.
Read the article at Tom's Hardware (link on the first page of this thread) !

john4455 said:
Yeah, but that's not the whole story. Not only does the card need to support 1920x1200x60, it also needs to support it over DVI, and then needs a good enough quality transmitter that you don't get too much noise.

As I said above, the ATI 7500 in my laptop did support it, but gave too much noise for me to be happy with it.
Ahh, sorry mate. Should have read it all. good luck with the find. :cool:

I might've talked my agency into buying a Sager 7620. Its got the ATI Mobility Radeon X800. Do you think that graphics card will run the 2405? The 7620 has a DVI port.

Just to chime in, I got my monitor today and had no problems using 1920x1200 via DVI on a BFG 6800 GT. Didn't even have to go into any advanced settings, it was available for me to select right away.

pooter03 said:
Just to chime in, I got my monitor today and had no problems using 1920x1200 via DVI on a BFG 6800 GT. Didn't even have to go into any advanced settings, it was available for me to select right away.
Good to know!! :D

just got my 2405FP and I'm running my X800 XT PE on her.

in one word? stunning. ;)

I guess I'm going to have to read the Tom's article to learn how to reduce blanking, but I can tell you that my old ATI AIW 8500DV is driving this 2405 beautifully over the DVI at 19x12.

Got an MSI 6600GT when I bought my (since returned) 2005FPW, am now waiting for my 2405FPW to arrive. Anyone else using a 6600GT with the 2405, happy with it over DVI (and did you have to reduce the blanking interval)? Think I counted one positive and one negative experience earlier in this thread.

Thanks,
Adam

the box of my 9500pro says it will do 1900x1200 @ 100hz is that acceptable for this display?

shadylx said:
the box of my 9500pro says it will do 1900x1200 @ 100hz is that acceptable for this display?

I don't know how to get this screen out of 60hz. But I don't know any reason why I wouldn't. You need 1920x1200 at 60hz. It works for me and the results are amazing.

I'm curious to see if older NV cards, such as my Ti4600 are able to handle the 1920x1200 resolution. My current monitor is running @ 1280x1024 just fine... it was running beautiful on the DVI connection, except my cable and port on the monitor were damaged during a trip to a LAN...

Anyone have any idea if it will work with older cards? I'm really considering about getting one of these puppies.

shadylx said:

That's over the VGA connector, not DVI, and so is irrelevant.

There are two questions :
1) Does the card support the 'reduced blanking period' needed to squeeze the bandwidth for 1920x1200x60Hz into a DIV channel?
2) Does it do this with a clean enough signal to avoid noise appearing on the display?

The answer to 1) will probably be yes (but that's just my guess going by the age of the card). 2) could be more iffy - non-highend Nvidia cards seem more likely to have lower quaility transmitters, and so may be too noisy.

That said, even if you do get too much noise over DVI, it's not the end of the world - just use VGA until you eventually upgrade your card.

Had the msi nx6600gt and tried it with a benq 23" wuxga in dvi I could not get it to work at full res. In vga mode worked but had a lot of noise in the image. I exchanged it for a 9800 pro less performant but it's amazing in 2D does 1920x1200 dvi out of the box I would never take another nvidia card.

john4455 said:
Dual-link is only needed for displays like the apple 30" - i.e. anything OVER 1920x1200x60Hz, and is VERY hard to get on a consumer card. Only cards known to officially support it are the workstation ranges (such as Nvidia's FX3400 where you're going to pay more that the cost of the dislay), and the special 6800 Ultra verison made for apple, which only works in a Mac.

Your information is slighty out of date.

The superdrive version of the 15 inch apple powerbook can be upgraded to a dual-link DVI option now for 100$ (build to order). The 17 incher comes with dual link standard. In both cases, when upgraded to the dual link option, these are radeon mobility 9700's with 128mb of memory. Basically a 9600XT-based chip ... running dual link. Tempting... :)

I have only been playing with the 2405 for a few hours but the Gainward 6800U doesn't seem to be having any problems as 1920x1200.

Back