Video Card Fan Died

Sc4freak

Limp Gawd
Eugh. My poor X300's puny fan started making funny noises and was slowing down. Today it just stopped altogether. I doubt the very small heatsink is enough to cool the chip passively, so is there anything I can do about it? Since it has been overclocked, it can't be returned. And buying a new card is out of the question. As far as I know, there are no aftermarked heatsinks for an X300, so what do I do?

you can return it if you have Overclocked it with Software .,.once its taken out it returns to default clocks

Dudeyourlame said:
you can return it if you have Overclocked it with Software .,.once its taken out it returns to default clocks

I think he is trying to be an honest person....

Is the X300 mounting holes really different from the x800 or x600 series?

You could try hacking up an old 1U copper heatsink and using some thermal epoxy to put it on the core. Then if you have decent airflow in your case you should be ok, the X300 isn't an especially hot chip.

yea im aware but not like the overclocking made the fan die .. so overclocking has nothing to do with returning it

You may be able to contact ATi for a replacement fan that you can install. Unless the card has been voltmodded the OC wouldnt negate the warranty on a bad fan. Besides ATi has had fan problems for a while now.

A small northbridge replacement fan has always worked for me. If you can't use screws use epoxy or a couple of drops of silicone seal. Works like a champ and they last longer.

Luck

_Korruption_ said:
This new Jetart JACSH1 cooler should work real nicely. Not expensive, large enough to offer a lot of surface area, and should be pretty quiet.

he could probably get a new x300 for that much.. haha im humor myself :D

Dudeyourlame said:
he could probably get a new x300 for that much.. haha im humor myself :D
But dude, you're lame! ;)

All joking aside, $21 isn't much for a big copper heatsink, the X300 is going to cost well over double that as far as I know.

Hmm... I'm looking for a very cheap alternative here, since it is only a cheapo X300. I probably couldn't send it for RMA or a new fan even if I wanted to, since I need my computer for work, and I have no PCI video cards. I can rip out a heatsink from a 486 or something, but I have no thermal adhesive. I've got AS5, though. Any way to attach a heatsink without pushpins or thermal adhesive?

Thanks for all your replies.

Back