Video card/CPU bottleneck?

-FX-

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
58
How slow does the CPU need to be in order to bottleneck a videocard; is there a certain ratio, or equation?
 
Not that I know of. There are so many different system configurations that you kind of have to find your own bottleneck. What are your specs and maybe we can help?
 
Well, I'm not sure if my CPU is a bottleneck...it may. I have a 2.8c, 1gigXMS, and a 6800 GT.
 
-FX- said:
Well, I'm not sure if my CPU is a bottleneck...it may. I have a 2.8c, 1gigXMS, and a 6800 GT.

This article is a bit dated on 6800 performance, but it should tell you waht you need to know http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjMyLDg=

Basically, if you oc that to around 3.2 or more (which should be a piece of cake), you won't notice any bottlenecking.
 
Actually my 2.8c is a 2.4c, Im run'n my Corsair at 235 FSB, 1:1....but if i run it at say, 3:2 and bring my processor to 3.2, or 3.4, will it make a difference since the ram will run slower, but the CPU is at a higher clock?
 
-FX- said:
Actually my 2.8c is a 2.4c, Im run'n my Corsair at 235 FSB, 1:1....but if i run it at say, 3:2 and bring my processor to 3.2, or 3.4, will it make a difference since the ram will run slower, but the CPU is at a higher clock?

Very little. Your system should run fine with an oc like that, so I would stop worrying about bottlenecking and maybe worry about the game settings that will make things run better. Turning off AA and AF will help significantly, unless you really need the eye candy.
 
Back
Top