• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card choice Dilema

NovaBurn

n00b
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
19
Ok I just recenty purchased parts to constuct my new PC and all I need left to finish it is the video card. My problem is that I'm not exactly sure what to get. I was eyeballing the 7800GTX and was amazed at its power and was considering that if I wanted to spend the money. I was also originally going to get an ATI x800XL PCIe card and then while after ATI released the crossfire cards and the mobos come out (or some other way to use it without a crossfire motherboard), grab a master card and use it in conjuction with my x800XL. And the last option is just wait til ATI releases the r520s and get on of those. The problem I'm having is that ATI is dragging their ass to release the R520s which is making me impatient. I don't want to spend $300 on a video card (x800xl) that will be made obsolete within a month when the R520s come out and have a similar priced card. Also I'd like to see what ATI has to offer that counters the 7800GTX. I've never purchased nvidia, as this is the first time I've had the money to do a full system upgrade, so I have yet to stroll into nvidia territory as I've been a fan of ATI for a while.

So my question is:

Do I get the x800XL for a decent price and then later down the road put in a crossfire, or do I go for the gusto and get a 7800GTX or 6800 card? I figure that ATI isnt going to release the R520s for another month at least and since the 7800GTX is kicking ass and taking names, it is looking like a mighty fine choice.

Specs
AMD Athlon64 3500+ Venice Core w/ Zalman CNPS7700-CU HSF
MSI K8N Neo4 SLI
1GB OCZ DDR400 (2-2-2-5) 2x 512
 
Just get the 7800GTX. ATI has seriously put themselves behind to build a killer card. But I'm starting to think along the same lines as Brent (and maybe Kyle) that if you wait for new tech, you're going to be waiting forever.
 
if you keep waiting, you will never get to upgrade and will never get a chance to experience the performance of the newest cards today.

i've never had nvidia cards before too, but i'm tired of waiting game.. so now i'm appreciating my BFG 7800GTX everytime i play games... up to you.. wait or enjoy the newest card while they are still on top.
 
Easy, get that 7800GTX. Great performance which will match the X800XL's in Crossfire, but with more features, which are now useful on the 7800GTX. Spend the money now and enjoy kick ass looking games.
 
i would never buy a card now and plan to crossfire it later. crossfire isnt even out yet. dont shoot yourself in the foot.
 
I would also recommend a 7800 series card. Just spend a few bucks extra now and not worry about getting a better card later.
 
Definitely re-affirms what I was thinking of doing. I've seen the reviews for the 7800GTX and they are indeed spectacular. Now I know that BFG has some kick ass cards, but is there a big difference between the manufacturers that produce the cards? (MSI vs BFG vs EVGA vs Leadtek) Just wondering as I can get a BFG 7800GTX from bestbuy with my employee discount for $525. And to top it off I think this weekend is tax free weekened (texas) so that might be an even sweeter deal.
 
Little difference beyond warranty and stock speeds. BFG comes clocked above stock speeds and also has a lifetime warranty. They make an awesome card.
 
If you must buy a card now then buy the X800XL and put the money towards a more cutting edge card in the next generation or so. Nothing really new has happened this gen to warrant all that money.
 
I've seen 7800GTXs for $500 on newegg and just wonder what if any major differences warrented the $50-$100 pricetag difference.
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
If you must buy a card now then buy the X800XL and put the money towards a more cutting edge card in the next generation or so. Nothing really new has happened this gen to warrant all that money.

Uhh, so wait till mid 2006? What else is going to happen between now and then. The next big release of DirectX is not going to happen till Vista comes out in Q4 of 2006, and that brings about a lot of major changes which will require a huge jump, but that's over a year away from now.

If you wait for the next best thing you'll always be waiting. Simply put the 7800GTX is the fastest and best card out there right now. Just buy it and enjoy it. That easy.
 
Back
Top