Video card build, structure and composition

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
I've been a system builder for a long time now and a few things have always puzzled me.

Why are the GPU's on the bottom of the card?

Why is there no heatsink on the back(top) of the video card?

And why isn't the GPU in a zif socket like the cpu is?

Wouldn't this make upgrading a whole lot easier???

Has to fit in an ATX motherboard in an ATX case and use an ATX power supply. Plus if you think about everything that has to go onto a GPU there is no way it could be mounted on a motherboard like a CPU.

Design and power specifications vary too greatly between GPUs to allow them to be interchangeable on the same base board design. ZIF socketed GPUs aren't going to happen any time soon, if ever.

Sinks of the back of the card would break ATX spec, as SixtyWatt said. You might not be able to fit another card beside the graphics card. Many people would not find that acceptable. The GPU is on the bottom of the card for the same reason -- ATX spec. Granted, there are reverse-ATX cases like my Lian Li which actually put the GPU facing up, but they have their own inherent issues.

i always thought it was funny too, all these neat fans and graphics, and they face bottom of the case, why have them at all?

I own a lian li small mid tower. The case is really nice and it basically puts everything on the other side of the case and upside down =) so, my graphics card GPU is actually facing up and the CPU is at the bottom of case. PSU is in the bottom front of case and airflow through case is quite good...
One awesome way to make a case if you ask me =)

I own a lian li small mid tower. The case is really nice and it basically puts everything on the other side of the case and upside down =) so, my graphics card GPU is actually facing up and the CPU is at the bottom of case. PSU is in the bottom front of case and airflow through case is quite good...
One awesome way to make a case if you ask me =)

There are serious issues with reverse ATX mounting, which is what your Lian Li uses. Sounds like it's set up like (or is) a PC-A05. The main issue is that with high end graphics cards the combination of the cards being above where the fans are and no venting above them leads to the creation of a pocket of very hot air between the top of the card and the top of the case.

Thats easy to take care of =) I also figured this would be a minor issue with video card cooling BUT, other than that its a great setup.
Basically install a slot blower fan that shoots the hot video card air out the back of PC and up in the air =)

Back