• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card bit the dust? Keeps freezing computer.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
10,538
I am running a 9800gx2 on an asus p5q deluxe mobo under xp.

My problem started last niht while playing a game. My display froze up and I had to hard boot. The problem seemed to happen during gameplay at this time.

However it persisted today and got worse. It is locking up my pc after a few minutes (the screen goes black after a bit).

I loked in event viewer and found a few errors such as the driver getting stuck in an infinite loop.

I dkid all I could think of to find the problem or fix it. First earlier today (when it only seemed to happen during a game) I monitered the temp to see if it was overheating, it wasn't getting any higher then normal. So I then updated the drivers. Throughout the day it seems to have got wose.

The last thing Idid was take the card out and make sure it was clean and connected firmly.

All of this did nothing to help. I dindn't install anything recently and Iscan my comp daily for virsues, etc.

The only thing Ican think of now is to get a new card :(.
 
I see you updated your drivers which is usually the best first step. If you can though maybe go back to an earlier driver if you have the capability to get it to load. Another thing is start the computer in SAFE mode and see if locks up. If it still does its most likely a hardware issue. If it doesn't lock up in safe mode, chances are its some kind of software issue... whether thats with windows, your video drivers, or some kind of conflict.

If it is a hardware problem my guess would be video card or PSU.
 
try lowering the clock/ram speeds and see if it helps. if it does, prob the card. I guess a power supply might be a possible problem also.
 
Back
Top