Video Card Audio?

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
1,916
I'm using a nvidia GT120 that's hooked up to my HDTV with a hdmi cable. In the nvidia control panel under resolutions the connector is: HDMI-HDTV (Audio Enabled)..

but no audio... can you get audio to export out of a video card?
 
With Nvidia cards you need to connect your sound card to the video card. There should be a pass through connector on the card somewhere.

Newer ATI cards (4xxx and 5xxx series) have an audio chip built in and show up as an audio device to Windows - no additional sound card or connection needed.

If you want HDMI audio I think you are better of with an ATI card. As far as I know it supports more features for audio than Nvidia cards do at the moment.
 
I'm using a nvidia GT120 that's hooked up to my HDTV with a hdmi cable. In the nvidia control panel under resolutions the connector is: HDMI-HDTV (Audio Enabled)..

but no audio... can you get audio to export out of a video card?
The GT120 uses the SPDIF header for audio via HDMI.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/1306/spdif_header.jpg

You can connect it from either your motherboard or soundcard.

Currently the only Nvidia cards with native HDMI audio support are:
GTX 480, GTX 470, GT 210, GT 220, GT 240 and their GT 300 re-spin counterparts.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top