Video capture devices not working in Win 7

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
I'm having an issue getting a couple of video capture devices to work in a Win 7 x64 system. The devices in question are a Logitech C920 webcam and a PCI-E Hauppage TV card. Both were working flawlessly earlier this year and then they stopped functioning. The TV card just shows a blank picture and the webcam software displays the "no logitech webcan detected" message. Virtualdub states that it cannot connect to the desired capture driver for either device. I'm really stumped on this one...

Back when the issue first struck I did extensive searching around the web to see what may be affecting video capture devices in Win 7 across the board, but I had no luck. I did the usual routine of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers/software plus additional multimedia application removals that were installed around the time the issue appeared, but it didn't solve anything. Now that the seasons changed and using the computer more often, I'm posting this thread hoping some of the gurus here can figure this one out. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems I found the cause of the capture drivers not functioning or not being present although no solution for restoring them as of this writing. I booted to another drive with an old image of the operating system from two years back. I decided to use this image as the basis for a fresh OS installation which would then be cloned to the main boot drive. I proceeded to install updated device drivers and underwent the usual routine of wiping the nVidia video card drivers first through the uninstallation process and then using DCleaner for full driver removal.

After installing the new updated nVidia drivers, I attempted to use the TV card and webcam but the same issues cropped up on this old OS image I'm experiencing on my main drive. So, it seems that DCleaner is the culprit and wiped out the capture drivers of all devices along with the video card drivers. Fortunately, I had restore points on this OS image that I could revert to and still be able to use it instead of going through the hassle of a full OS and application installation.

Does anyone know why DCleaner would remove all video capture drivers in a system from manufacturers that were not specified during its use? I made certain I selected only nVidia drivers to be wiped clean, and the permanent disablement of Logitech or Hauppaugge devices through the removal/corruption of capture drivers should not have occurred. Even successive reinstallations of these devices' software/drivers does not work to make them function again. Only with a restore point prior to using DCleaner is effective for obvious reasons but nothing else seems to work. Ideally, I'd like to pinpoint which files were affected and have them copied over from a good OS image.

Dont know but this deserves a bump.
Thanks for passing on the info.

Back