• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video Camera For the New Addition

cmosdos

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 26, 2002
Messages
2,075
As you can tell by my sig, I'm expecting a little one in a little while. I have an A80 right now which has pleased me for still pictures. But, I am interesting in getting a video camera to capture those moments where pictures can't. I've done a good bit of research about the different types of cameras, but I'm no expert. I would really appreciate some good recomendations.

What I'm looking for:
- I want to take the video and bring it into the PC digitally for editing/compresion
- Things that are important to me: Quality of picture, battery life, size, other 'features'
- Here's the kicker... sub $1000, preferably $400-800. I'm using about $400 from taxes that I get back and I figure with some extra consulting work I can get another 400. But to pay the extra $$ it really has to be worth it.

In addition to cataloging the video for future viewing (I have a DVD burner), I would like to upload the video to my webserver. Any recomendations for easy to use / learn video editing/compressing software would be greatly appreciated.
 
Reading through some other threads I found that NickN commented very well on the Canon Elura series. Look at some websites, I also found an Optura series. Forgive me if I spelled these wrong. Decent cameras? What's the difference between them?
 
The Optura and Elura are both superb video cameras, though the Optura is slightly better.

The Optura 30 has a larger CCD than the Elura (which already has a very large CCD for a sub-$1000 camera, which is a big plus). The CCD is a sensor that converts light into electric signals the camcorder can interpret. A larger CCD is obviously better, because it is more sensitive to light and thus affords you a picture with more fine details.

There's also an RGB filter in the Optura which I don't think the Elura has; this makes colors more rich by separating each one into a different channel to be processed instead of putting all the colors into one channel.

The Optura 30 is $80 more than the Elura 65 after a rebate, and I don't know how long the rebate lasts so if you want the Optura then get it soon. Here's a link to the Optura 30 clickity click from one of the most reputable video and photography dealers in the United States; B & H Photo and Video.

If you want REALLY good video, consider a three-CCD camcorder. Yep, there are camcorders that have not one CCD like the Elura and Optura, but three. Awesome picture quality, due mainly to the fact that colors can be discretely processed - red on one CCD, green on another CCD, and blue on the last one. I've read good things about the Panasonic GS200, which should be around $1000, but I can't say I have any experience with a 3-CCD camcorder - being 14 years old, I can't afford such an awesome camera and my parents won't buy me one. :eek:

As for editing software, look up Pinnacle Studio 9 AV/DV. This is arguably the best basic editing software there is, for around $90, and it comes with a firewire PCI card to import video over. If you already have firewire ports, don't bother with this version - just get the standard Pinnacle Studio 9.

I think that covers everything. If you have any further questions about anything related to video, please feel free to contact me - look in my profile for AIM and e-mail address.
 
Great post again NickN. I'm leaning towards the Opture 30. But, someone I talked to yesterday said it was being replaced soon. Perhaps the reason for the 100 rebate? Any ideas on what is replacing it and if its worth waiting for? Also, this person said the Panasonic line is bar none the best for quality in sub 1000 cameras. Methodial... you mentioned the panasonic AG 120. Is this a new camera coming out? The person I talked to also said that panasonic has some new ones coming out in the 600-800 range that are supposed to be excellent.
 
I recently picked up a JVC D201. Its last years model but it was brand new off ebay for $230shipped. They didn't change anything in the D230 which is this years model. I'm really suprised by the camera's potental. The reason I picked it over others was its low light performance, its alot better than most. I read alot of reviews online and came to the conclusion that it was the one for me.
 
Back
Top