Video and Photo

Dayaks

[H]F Junkie
Against my suggestions my wife got a new Mac Book Pro. It's probably actually a good fit for her.

Any suggestions on good apps for video or photo editing? Basically home movies and photo editing. I would assume the MBP comes with half decent photo software. So mainly asking about video.

I use Adobe Premiere which has video stabilization. Not sure if there's an easy to use iOS program that has something like that.

Well I said for home videos/photos... I don't reall care about semantics with Macs, it's usefulness to me personally as en engineer is nil.

Thanks for responding. FCP might be a little intense for her. I wonder if I can use my windows Premiere license on her Mac... even that is a little cumbersome compare to the free Windows Movie Maker though.

I honestly wonder if she wants me to put windows on it. macOS is such garbage.

Well I said for home videos/photos... I don't reall care about semantics with Macs, it's usefulness to me personally as en engineer is nil.

You've come into this place in the forum in order to gain information. Part of that information is learning the nomenclature. If you aren't interested in learning anything, why are you here, and why ask questions?

Thanks for responding. FCP might be a little intense for her. I wonder if I can use my windows Premiere license on her Mac... even that is a little cumbersome compare to the free Windows Movie Maker though.

The irony is palpable. If your goal is to allow her to cut together films easily, despite scale or scope, Premiere is hardly the application I would suggest for ease of use. Final Cut has a significantly easier curve to learn in comparison with other NLEs.
If you think that's still too much, iMovie is free and comes with macOS. It is very much Final Cut light. In fact iMovie is designed with that progression in mind. So the interface is nearly the same. Just without a lot of the more powerful tools such as scopes, color grading, exposure, or any other form of audio/video correction. The basic aspect of getting sources and cutting it together is the same.

As for photos, I would probably recommend Lightroom. Which, if I'm reading you and this situation correctly, you may already have an Adobe CC license for. The same could also be said for Premiere, which also has an OSX variant if you so choose to go down that path. However, I would hardly call Premiere user friendly.

I honestly wonder if she wants me to put windows on it. macOS is such garbage.

:rolleyes:

Your contempt is noted. But so it's obvious to you as to what you just did:
"Hey, you guys. You know that shitty thing you use that's terrible and horrible, and anyone that uses it is a moron? Can you give me suggestions on if there is anything remotely redeeming or useful about it? Or should I just keep going with my current response that it's garbage? k thx bye."

The only reason why you're worthy of any response isn't for your sake, it's more for your Wife's. I hope that as she uses this machine, you can at least not address her and her choices with as much contempt.

For what it's worth as well, if you're intending on using this machine as a 100% Windows only machine, you're better off returning it or selling it and buying a Windows machine.

Last edited:
Try the photos app first for photo editing. If you need more that what that can do, look into Lightroom, pixelmator, or photoshop depending on the need
For movie editing, start with iMovie since that already comes with the computer. If she needs more than that then move up to final cut or what ever adobe provides.

Get the Adobe Photoshop & Premier Elements bundle on Amazon. If you order the one with CD's, you can install on 1 PC and 1 Mac.

Back