• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vid card on a slower machine?

DrNic2032

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
125
I have a mini-itx based small form factor machine that I'd like to make into a multimedia box. The motherboard is ~1Ghz with 1GB of RAM. The machine can handle audio, and video files without a problem. Whenever I try to play Hulu or DVDs however I get choppy playback. (Youtube, even on HD, is fine however).

If I get a decent PCI video card (only 1 PCI slot on the board), would that clear up the chop when I'm trying to play?
 
I have a mini-itx based small form factor machine that I'd like to make into a multimedia box. The motherboard is ~1Ghz with 1GB of RAM. The machine can handle audio, and video files without a problem. Whenever I try to play Hulu or DVDs however I get choppy playback. (Youtube, even on HD, is fine however).

If I get a decent PCI video card (only 1 PCI slot on the board), would that clear up the chop when I'm trying to play?

Nope. Hulu is Flash, which is software accelerated, not GPU. What 1GHz CPU can play Youtube HD? My 1.6GHz Atom most definitely can't.
 
that system would work for DVD's and stuff but nothing HD/flash based..

also cricco.. flash supports hardware accel..
 
Ok, I'm getting mixed messages.

If flash v10 can be hardware accelerated will a good vid card do the trick then?

criccio,
I tested Hulu and failed pretty miserably. I just went to Youtubes main page and hit a random HD vid. It didn't play well but at least it played. It was watchable. Might not have really been HD though as I don't spend a lot of time on Youtube and don't know their format.
 
So your telling me all you need is a DirectX 9 capable GPU with at least 128MB of dedicated VRAM? That will accelerate Youtube HD video all in the GPU?

Someone with an ION needs to confirm this... I'm still skeptical.

Yea, I just played back a Youtube HD clip on the main rig in my sig and FF's CPU usage was jumping between 10% and 20% CPU usage. That's the same if I play an 720p h264 MKV file with my CPU. CPU usage would be hovering around 1-2% if the video was being accelerated in hardware.
 
Last edited:
So your telling me all you need is a DirectX 9 capable GPU with at least 128MB of dedicated VRAM? That will accelerate Youtube HD video all in the GPU?

Someone with an ION needs to confirm this... I'm still skeptical.

Yea, I just played back a Youtube HD clip on the main rig in my sig and FF's CPU usage was jumping between 10% and 20% CPU usage. That's the same if I play an 720p h264 MKV file with my CPU. CPU usage would be hovering around 1-2% if the video was being accelerated in hardware.

So you found that the hardware acceleration actually worked? Did you test it with Hulu?

I hate to point to another forum but the guys over at AVS seem to be having issues with the same thing. There are a couple posts over there claiming that Hulu doesn't support hardware acceleration.
 
So you found that the hardware acceleration actually worked? Did you test it with Hulu?

No, I'm finding that it does not work. If it was working, my CPU shouldn't be doing anything, but it is:

Untitled-87.png
 
Oh ok, I misread your post.

It really sucks that they refuse to use a technology that can be used on older/slower machines.
 
Back
Top