Vibration absorption alternative

I've look around, and all the fan silencers, you know the rubber/silicon things you put between the case and the fan are all so expensive. what are some alternatives you guys have used?

I thought about putting little pieces of cardboard between the fan and the case, that would work i'm sure.

but that would look fugly, i mean, if your going for the whole ironic look or the, look i don't have any money look, but just pop some rubber washers on there, and then you're set.

i'm not saying it wouldn't work, but i'm just saying, you might see it depending where it is in your case, and cardboard is not good looking imho

For my 120mm intake fan, which is covered by a grill so you can't see it, I cut out a square "gasket" from an old mouse pad. Works great!

i know the adhesive linoleum tile at home depot deadens vibration, but i dont think it will hold up to being cut finely enough for a fan gasket.

the adhesive also smells and has a rediculous wet tack.

i used neoprene foam rubber with some rubber cement to stick it to the bottom of my water pump. works well.

I used a couple of neoprene/rubber washers from the hardware store on either side of the panel I was screwing the fan to. Much much more quiet.

The EAR composite items aren't very cost prohibitive if ordered from Mcmaster.

You want to use grommets instead of a gasket to prevent the vibration transferring through a mounting bolt to the case. If not going with EAR grommets or fan mounts, get neoprene or other grommets and use nylon bolts to mount your items.

If you don't move your system much, sitting HDDs on a piece of Sorbothane will do wonders for noise reduction.

A bycicle tire repair kit. Although, the rubber cement can do the job by itself.

Back