VIA's new console

I'll be especially interested to see what game developers jump on the no installation required bandwagon. I don't think it likely that many mainstream games will be playable on that system, but I hope I'm proved wrong. Sounds like a great addition to my home theatre.

sounds good but with an xbox modchip you can do just the same stuff..

-warsaw

Originally posted by m1dg3t
I'll be especially interested to see what game developers jump on the no installation required bandwagon. I don't think it likely that many mainstream games will be playable on that system, but I hope I'm proved wrong.
Longhorn specs are going to have games that play from a CD.

I can't beleive they used the Apex name. They're known for making some of the crappiest electronics ever. Everything they sell is always the cheapest version of whatever item it is, and its always obvious why.

I still might have to get this thing though, looks interesting. Are they gonna make special games just for this console and not pc?

This thing looks pretty cool, strong points: Will have a near regular version of winxp on it, plus it will play regular pc games.

They said eventually they will have load from cd games, but I think they also ment you can install normal pc games on the 40 gig drive. Thats very cool.

Originally posted by butterfliesrpretty
I can't beleive they used the Apex name. They're known for making some of the crappiest electronics ever. Everything they sell is always the cheapest version of whatever item it is, and its always obvious why.

I still might have to get this thing though, looks interesting. Are they gonna make special games just for this console and not pc?

:rolleyes:

Apex is more known to be a quality, cheap DVD player company that has created a number of players easily firmware flashable to be region free. What makes you say they make the "crappiest electronics ever."

Originally posted by SonicTron
:rolleyes:

Apex is more known to be a quality, cheap DVD player company that has created a number of players easily firmware flashable to be region free. What makes you say they make the "crappiest electronics ever."

I worked for BB early last year during the holiday season in the video department. We sold about 200 of those crappy ass $99 Apex DVD players with karoke inputs. Half got returned because they wouldn't play any DVD's or the CD-tray wouldn't open.

Yeah work in retail for a week and you'll know why. Go look at there tv's or anything else they build. They have a very high failure rate and there image quality is ass on all there products especially dvd players.

Why do some of you guys think it will be tough to play games without installing them first? Ever use an X-box? CounterStrike, Morrowind, KOTOR...all are games played on a Microsoft OS which are not installed first.

IF this works, it could be cool. What they need to do, in my opinion, is to incorporate a DVD burner and PVR software. Then it would be the ultimate media center pc.

considering its via they'll release a console , its going to be buggy , then 6 months later they will release a B version that fixes the problems and the people that bought the first batch will be stuck with a peice of junk.

Originally posted by stgdz
Longhorn specs are going to have games that play from a CD.

Really? That sucks very badly if it's true. I hate using cds because they always get lost or scratched. :mad:

When I first saw its name I read it as "Ape Xtreme" and did a WTF?? :p Anyone else do this?

I may pick it up, just for the sake of adding it to my console collection. Yes I know its a really a set-top box.

Back