Viable Socket 1150 Upgrade from i3 4130t?

jimthebob

Gawd
My server currently "rocks" an i3 4130t which I am able to easily passively cool thanks to its low TDP, good case airflow, and normally relatively low work load. However, I'm getting a bit of an upgrade itch for the server. This machine is used mostly for Plex locally but I do have a few outside clients that will hit it every once in a while. I've looked at a few CPU's to potentially upgrade to but most are more than I want to spend just to itch the upgrade bug.

Anyone happen to know if there's a CPU, whether it be a Xeon, i3, i5, or i7, that may have a good surplus in the market allowing for a good buy? I'd like to keep TDP low but as it's not stressed heavily on a daily basis, that's not a huge issue. I'm hoping someone knows of lower end Xeon (or whatever) that goes cheap on the used market but would still beat the pants off of the 2.9ghz dual core i3 I have now. TIA gents

Upgrading for the sake of doing it alone is not worth it, especially if what you currently have does its job well enough. Having said that, try the for sale forum here or perhaps ebay. Newegg and amazon also have a few i7 4 series cpus but they go for close to retail.

What TDP can your passive cooler do?

The 4770s is an i7 in a 65w package.

The 4770t is the i7 in 45w flavor.

Not sure you can find these cheap though.

What TDP can your passive cooler do?

The 4770s is an i7 in a 65w package.

The 4770t is the i7 in 45w flavor.

Not sure you can find these cheap though.

IIRC it's a 212 Evo with the fan removed, I can always throw a fan on there if need be but the two 240 fans I have up front and then the 140 exhaust fan I have in back have been pretty good at keeping fresh air moving through the case.

As for the 4770s/t, I looked them up on eBay and uhh I appreciate the suggestion but I may keep looking at other options :confused:

Upgrading for the sake of doing it alone is not worth it, especially if what you currently have does its job well enough. Having said that, try the for sale forum here or perhaps ebay. Newegg and amazon also have a few i7 4 series cpus but they go for close to retail.

I've learned the upgrading for the sake of doing it lesson before, I now put a budget on those kind of upgrades hence why I'm looking for a low priced option :ROFLMAO: I keep my eyes peeled i the FS/FT section here and I don't spend enough time on here to catch the deals before someone else snatches them up.

I will have a 4690k up soon, waiting on my 4790k to get in. I'll let it go for a good deal, I can let you know before I post it if you want first crack at it.

Does your board offer overclocking options? You can always lower the multiplier and Vcore on a regular i5 to simulate a '-T' processor.

Back