VIA systems

How well do the VIA processors work? Are they stable and capable of running higher end games? I too am new to VIA and only became interested through the thread that started this forum. I really know nothing about them so any info available would be great.

Also, anyone who knows alot about the VIA systems should start a thread that has general info and all that stuff like the other forums have stickied.

They're not really meant for gaming, as most of the boards don't come with a graphics card slot, just standard pci.

I work with a guy who bought one of the mini-atx ones, slightly bigger than the nano atx ones, and he's putting it in his car apparently.

What are they really good for? Like, what do most VIA owners use them for? What are average prices? How long do they last? How many mHz/gHz do the processors operate at? This is all very interesting to me so I appreciate any feedback.

Reference the other threads for info, theres quite a bit on the C7-M and the Eden.

I dont' know anything about VIA but it looks cool. Seem like a solution for a small powerful multipurpose computer.

OK i have been out of the game for almost a year...Since when did VIA start makin CPUs? I mean I have a mobo with a VIA chipset, but I didn't know they started makin CPUs.

Blue Fox said:
VIA entered the CPU market in 1999 after they acquired Cyrix.

Ironically, the chip maker which is producing the coolest running x86 cpus in the business acquired Cyrix - a chip maker that was notorious for their space heater cpus :p

Actually, I've a question.

I'm toying with the idea of picking up one of these to put into a small 2nd box(that would be colocated within my main puter). I know their not meant for gaming, but would they be able to handle older games? Mainly I'm thinking Everquest, as I 2box and would like to have seperate computers for this, but I don't have the desk/floor space really. I know I'd have to put a decent video card in, and would have to have a decent chunk of ram, but i'm just wondering if they would be up to running a game like that?

Zumino Zufeilon said:
Actually, I've a question.

I'm toying with the idea of picking up one of these to put into a small 2nd box(that would be colocated within my main puter). I know their not meant for gaming, but would they be able to handle older games? Mainly I'm thinking Everquest, as I 2box and would like to have seperate computers for this, but I don't have the desk/floor space really. I know I'd have to put a decent video card in, and would have to have a decent chunk of ram, but i'm just wondering if they would be up to running a game like that?

They're roughly the speed of a P2-500Mhz

sooooo, no, alrighty then, maybe i'll build it into an HTPC box that's colocated, the main complaint I have atm is can't watch TV and 2Box ;)

The other question that has been tossed around the forums here is, will the via mini systems be able to take Folding at home genode program?

Here is the answer to this question, in short the answer is no, meaning if someone that would try to make their via mini-itx system fold, it might as well take a few months to crank out a few frames.

These via systems are great for other things besides folding. I used to play diablo 2 on my mini-itx box with no problem, because is was not graphic intense. Anymore the via mini-itx systems are good for some gaming, used as a tv tuner, cd duplicator, modding and etc.

Back