VIA chipset questions

So basically, ive built a fair number of computers, but havent really ever heard of VIA. is it a brand, a type or what. If one of you guys could explain, or give an example that would be great, like some pros or cons. Just a curious guy wondering what this is? Thanks guys.

Via is a chip manufacturer that builds both chipsets and processors (and has recently moved into all in one solutions). Via is probably most known these days for their north bridge chips and small motherboards that use an integrated processor. These boards tend to run much slower than other desktops, but are alot cooler, use less energy and dont always require active heatsinks (read: no fans). Via all in one boards using the C3 chip are great for Car computers, music servers and other uses that require very small, quiet computers.

As for their chipsets, I cant say much as I don't have alot of experience with them. The only board I've ever used with a via chip was actually pretty nice, it had a good bios and overclocked quite high (199fsb on a k7 Sempron IIRC).

That's all I can tell you, anyone else have anything to add?

VIA used to be the King of chipsets for AMD processors. They had the fastest bus speeds and some of the most stable platforms available. Then nVidia stepped in with their nForce chipsets. While VIA was competitive against the nForce and nForce 2, they seem to have withdrawn from the market once the Athlon 64 came to market. They still make chipsets for these processors but they haven't been cutting edge for a couple of years now.

Back