via barebone as a router?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, my d(eath)-link di-624 keeps shitting on me so I've decided to replace it with something alittle more beefier. I'm going to be running m0n0wall, and after browsing newegg for a bit I stumbled upon this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16856110056

I'd like to pair that up with a spare NIC I've got laying around, a stick of 256mb ddr, and one of those nifty CF-IDE converter thingers.

Has anyone used m0n0wall on a via based system? I haven't really found any info on it from the google..

I should note that I know people will say to just use an old shitpile rig that can basically be found on the side of the road, but I do like the fact that the via system will be silent, put out no heat, and basically sip power.

Just curious as to what everyones thoughts are on this. Thanks!

Yeah I would say that would make a killer little router. The VIA chipsets are generally really well supported in Linux/BSD so I would say you would be OK IMO. If not I have heard of some folks putting IPCOP on these little VIA boards before too.

The best way to get you the desired answer is to check whenever your barebone has linux support. If yes, then it is doable to make it as a router and I agree with COKE CAN about a killer little router :)

Well I've gone ahead and ordered it. For 90 bucks shipped that's the price of a halfway decent consumer-grade router. I have a stick of 512mb ddr333 that I'll throw in it and a NIC...

I'll post back with results!

Man... Now I found somthing else I want to buy. I was looking at it though a CF->sata converter would work nice with it for router purposes...

If your not completely set on using m0n0wall you might want to check out pfsense also. I have been using it for a couple months now with great success, plus it has a nice traffic shaper wizard

If your not completely set on using m0n0wall you might want to check out pfsense also. I have been using it for a couple months now with great success, plus it has a nice traffic shaper wizard

I will certainly look into it! I'll be playing with a couple and see which one I like best.

Well, I have been a VIA C3 600MHz with the dual NICs for a while now. I don't know if it's the memory or what but the darn thing keeps having kernel panics. I think I just need to run a mem test on it for a while to see if thats the problem, but I hope to replace it with a Soekris unit instead.

Back