• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VGA to DVI, is it possible?

Aldur

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
39
Is it possible to take VGA to DVI with a Cable? :confused: Say such a senario like taking the xbox 360 with a vga cable and using a VGA to DVI cable/connection to a LCD HDTV DVI port? WIll this work? Will it look any better the just the VGA cable? And if so what kinda of DVI cable is used, DVI-m, DVI-i, DVI-d ?

Thanks for any help in advance :)
 
What exact display do you own?

If you're monitor has a dvi-i input, then yes it will work. If your monitor has a dvi-d input (which i suspect it does) then no it won't work...

If your display has vga input then just stick with that since adapters/extension cables might just rob you of image quality anyway (sometimes, not always).

Doesn't hurt to experiment but know what you're working with before you spend the cash.
 
If it's an lcd tv and has component, just use that. What monitor is it?
 
Its a Westinghouse 37" LCD HDTV and I have tried the component, the VGA looks tons better then the component hook up, not to mention the ability to go above 720p, having a VGA cable with the 360 allows you to go to higher resolutions, the max with component is 720p or 1080i. I was just thinking that I might get a better picture if I convert to DVI.
 
No, it won't work...or do anything. That is a dvi-d port (all digital) And I thought 720p looked better because it was progressive instead of interlaced. You can't convert it to dvi and even if you could the tv would change it right back to analog, being the same quality as the analog you have now.
 
Aldur said:
I was just thinking that I might get a better picture if I convert to DVI.
You can't convert VGA (analog) to DVI-D (digital) with a simple adapter or cable. You would need a $$$ transcoder, and it's output quality would be questionable compared to what you have now. The reason why DVI-I can be adapted to VGA is becasue it has the extra analog pins built into the cable, so there isn't any real signal conversions taking place. And it appears that the Westinghouse uses DVI-D and not DVI-I.

One way of improving the VGA signal would be to get rid of any adapters or "VGA extension cables" if you're using them....

Definitely stick with VGA especially if component is limiting your resolutions. VGA also seperates the video signals better than component since component combines a few of them (5 wires -vs- 3).
 
bLaCktIGErs91 said:
I THINK 1080i looks better than 720p, correct?

Yeah, just stick with the component :/

I've always THOUGHT 1080i looks worse then 720p, but i suppose thats just a matter of preference.

First of all, I don't want to use the component cables because when compaired in 720p the VGA colors look so much more vibrant and seems to produce such a better picture then component cables. Also with the component cables I see ghosting, a problem that LCD's are plauged with, in movies but not in games and I don't see this with the vga. Also the resolution of 720p is 1280x720, which is straight over very compairable to 1080i, I personally think 720p looks better then 1080i.

The component cable with the 360 can only do 720p, with the vga cable heres a list of resolutions it can do that is above 720p.

1280x768
1280x1024
1360x768

All of these resolutions are considerably higher then 720p's 1280x720 and produce a much better picture. And it looks like I can't convert the vga singnal to DVI so I'll just have to wait till Microsoft comes out with a DVI cable for the 360, it might be a long time. :(
 
Aldur said:
All of these resolutions are considerably higher then 720p's 1280x720 and produce a much better picture. And it looks like I can't convert the vga singnal to DVI so I'll just have to wait till Microsoft comes out with a DVI cable for the 360, it might be a long time. :(


probably never...but with the addition of hd-dvd it probably will dvi or hdmi...
 
Ive heard that VGA works better with some of those LCD TVs. In the newer ones (like from Samsung and Sony) they dont even come with DVI-D. Its HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite.
 
If your Xbox 360 only has VGA output then use VGA on the TV, it would be pointless to convert VGA to DVI....you cant make the quality of the picture in the signal better out of nowhere, it'd be the same if not worse, just stick with VGA
 
0V3RC10CK3D said:
If your Xbox 360 only has VGA output then use VGA on the TV, it would be pointless to convert VGA to DVI....you cant make the quality of the picture in the signal better out of nowhere, it'd be the same if not worse, just stick with VGA

Agreed 100%.
 
Back
Top