vga to dvi/hdmi

yeah dvi and hdmi are digital signals, dont think they would be able to display analog at all. vga converts the digital signal of the comp and converts it to analog.

Doubt it's "fake" in that it doesn't exist but it might not work. For $12, if I were you, I'd go ahead and try it out. But be prepared to plug everything in and get a black screen. Post your results will ya - I'm curious too.

Even if it does work, I can't imagine it looking good - I mean think about the signal, it's going from digital on the computer to VGA across the cable and then back to digital (maybe - or maybe it never goes back to digital and you get no image) someplace past the cable. Versus digital the whole way you have got to be able to see the difference.

So is that cable fake?

Perhaps someone wired up such a cable.

Will it work? No.
Will it damage something? Possibly.

These are totally incompatible signals and a cable won't convert them. The odds of this working are worse than winning the lotto. You would be much better off buying lotto tickets than throwing your money away on this.

Sometimes projectors or other specialized devices will accept digital signals via a VGA input. This cable probably works well, assuming that its connected to the right device. I would almost guarantee that it won't work for you.

You need something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

It's not $8, but it's only ~$40. I've never used this one, but my personal experience (and it seems most everyone else on the forum) with monoprice has been first rate.

Sometimes projectors or other specialized devices will accept digital signals via a VGA input. This cable probably works well, assuming that its connected to the right device. I would almost guarantee that it won't work for you.

You need something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

It's not $8, but it's only ~$40. I've never used this one, but my personal experience (and it seems most everyone else on the forum) with monoprice has been first rate.

Well see I had looked at that already and was so close to pulling the triger until i looked at the specs and noticed the highest rez it'll do is 1600x1200:(

It does say 1600x1200, but then it also says it will output 1080p (your desired res). I don't know if that means this box scales the signal or what. You can always try it. Worst case, it costs you shipping back to monoprice.

The supported VGA input signals are:

640x480 @ 60, 72 & 75hz
800x600 @ 60, 72 & 75hz
1024x768 @ 60, 72 & 75hz
1280x1024 @ 60hz
1600x1200 @ 60hz

The supported HDMI output signals are:

480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Gefen makes this kind of device as well, and I can guarantee you that this will work:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4341
Gefen makes some superb stuff, but it's not cheap at $329. If it were me, I'd try the device from monoprice - it's far and away the cheapest way to convert your VGA to DVI/HDMI. If it doesn't work out, you're probably going to have to swallow a lot more cost.

What kind of laptop do you have? It's possible that you can get a DVI out from your laptop with a docking station (Dell, Lenovo, etc.)...

Yea Im thinking I'll give that a shot, my lappy is the one in my sig and unfortunately they dont make a dock that outputs in digital for it. The current model hp sells uses the same casing as mine and I even have the cutout on the side where the new ones have hdmi out! Damn year old technology!:rolleyes:

Back