• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VGA Slot Coolers

Hexus0

Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
590
Hey everyone, I was looking at a way to cool my video card, without actually having to replace the stock heatsink, I'm not looking for drastic drops in temperature, just to cool it a bit more for insurance. On idle its at 55-60C at load its like 63-67C, I know thats not bad, but I'm wondering if any of these would help me cool it any more and if there worth it?

http://www.xoxide.com/3dedge.html
or
http://www.xoxide.com/fancard.html

The 3D Edge one looks good because it has 3 fans and can cool in like any direction, any information would be helpful...
 
your temps are VERY good for a 6800 Ultra. do you have it overclocked? if not, overlcock it!!! your temps are good!

adding the 3D Edge card would probably drop temps a bit. why dont you want to change out the enitre heatsink? warranty reasons?
 
Well its a BFG so its factory overclocked, 425/1100, but I don't want to OC because I don't really see a point in it, the card is fast enough, and I don't want to replace the heatsink because it voids the warranty, and I really don't trust myself taking apart something that cost me so much. :D
 
well if you are checking the temps really fast when exiting a game..that is not really the load temps...use rivatuner to check the temps in the graph while you game...exiting a game then checking temps when the temp cools really really fast already...like 10c higher than you think....
 
and have fun listening to the vacuum noise of 3 cheap 80mms next to you videocard...
 
If you buy that 3D thing and put tornados in it............ :D
 
But if he wants the extra cooling for insurance he might not be willing to void his lifetime warranty ;)
 
Flo said:
But if he wants the extra cooling for insurance he might not be willing to void his lifetime warranty ;)

Good point...personaly I'm not a fan of the AC's NV 5 anyways, on most cards it doesn't make good contact and you need to file down the part that touches the memory so it will get exelent contact...but I guess it's good enough for most people stock.

I can fully understand if he doesn't want to void his warranty, just giving him an alternative that he might not know about :p
 
Flo said:
But if he wants the extra cooling for insurance he might not be willing to void his lifetime warranty ;)

Flo - see you have the near the same specs as me and I was curious to see what your performance was, 3d mark 05 etc. I just recently got my 6800 gt.

Also, have your overclocked your GT and if so, what sort of improvement does it yield you?
 
Back
Top