VGA Silencer: My Review

jmcmike

Limp Gawd
Introduction

OK, so in spite of my earlier thread asking for advice on a (non VGA Silencer) cooler for my 9800 Pro, I went ahead and bought a Silencer anyway. I figured that from the pics I had seen, it would have a very good chance of clearing my ramsinks so I gave it a shot.

So what do I think of it? It's a good cooler but installation was problematic.

Installation

Installation really should have been much easier than it was. I had one problem that was not the fault of the manufacturer and one that was. Both of them were worked around however.

First off, no fault of Artic Cooling, but one of my ramsinks was colliding with the power cable running to the fan. This was easily remedied by using the slack in the cable to re-route it out of the way of the ramsink. Not a problem really.

Other than that, attaching the cooler to my card was relatively simple. I removed the stock cooler and cleaned the core with rubbing alcohol to a spit shine. The core sure has one pretty mirrored finish underneath the goop.

Before I applied Arctic Alumina (I don't play with Artic Silver, no sir) I attached the cooler without any compund so I could check for air gaps between the cooler and the GPU shim. Went fine, I could see air (before full tightening) and when I removed the cooler I could see the imprint of the ATI symbol from the core left on the cooler's underside (leftover goop presumably)

Then I applied a moderate layer of AA and reattached the cooler. You really need to bear down on the screws to get the metal clip to meet the rubber washers (according to instruction) and it is a somewhat scary experience. I'm just not used to applying this sort of pressure to a $300 PCB.

OK, so now it's attached and I can't really make out a gap between the cooler and the shim but I feel comfortable that I have good core contact based on the last test.

However, upon attemptiong to install the completed unit in my PC, I ran into what has to be one of the more frustrating design flaws I have run ever run into. The switch for the fan speed is mounted on the slot backing and is designed to stick out the back of the case. The problem is that is is mounted so close to the end that is inserted into the back of the case that I couldn't get the unit seated comletely in the AGP slot because the switch was bottoming out. I was able to unscrew the switch to get the nut and washer out of the way and then tighten the washer nut so that they overlapped the case cutout but there is still some pressure exerted when I tighten the screws for the card into the case. I'm going to have to take it out and Dremel the backing a bit to make it fit right.

I should point out the this isn't some fly-by-night garbage case here. It's an Antec and I have had great fit and finish with just about everything prior to this.

Overall, installation was complicated by what could have been a more conservative measurement by design.

Performance

Overall I am happy with the performance but am dissapointed in my core. I know this cooler is seated very well but I can only get an additional 5 MHz out of the core (from 405 to 410) I can feel alot of heat being blown out the back and my memory OC improvement I think proves that the card is overall a much cooler cucumber as I have been able to get the memory to run an additional 5MHz faster than before (from 375 to 380) My theory is that since the heat from the core is no longer being blown over the front side ramsinks and is actually being ejected out the back, the PCB (and everything else on the card) is now running much cooler than before, which is allowing for an even better memory OC. My core must simply not be one of the better ones. I was hoping for 412 (XT) but I guess I can be happy with 410.

Conclusion

Overall I am happy with the purchase and it just looks downright cool to boot. Worth the money and a good tweaking experience.

Originally posted by Killa|3yte
but the OC? 5 mhz :(
5 MHz more than I could get with the stock cooler. I was already 25 MHz above the stock speed. I'm guessing that the core is simply limited to 410 MHz at normal temps (as opposed to using liquid or phase change.)

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
So, was the shim slightly higher than or same height as the core top?
The shim was slightly lower than the core but with the cooler tightened down all the way it looks like both the shim and the core are now touching the cooler.

I feel pretty sure about this because of what I said in my 1st post and also because my razor blade cleared the shim when I was applying the compound to the core.

Ick, not sure what that cooler costs but the time and voided warranty couldn't have been worth 5MHz improvement. :(

That's a valid point but you always take chances like this with an aftermarket cooler. It may help alot or it may not, mostly depends on how good of a sample the core is.

I seem to have not scored a great core, but I wouldn't know how far it could go without trying. All I knew for sure is that the stock cooler was a piece of garbage and that I had a decent shot of a good improvement with an aftermarket cooler.

Aye, I had a harder time getting my damn Hecules 9800pro copper orb, the damn threads kept getting stucking the PCB. Then the damn back heastink was stuck and it took several prys with a screwdriver to get it off. Other then that, it was well, but I forgot the damn static backplate so I had to REDO it again.

Performance is great, and I love how it blows all the hot air outa my case. Love it!!

superexhaust.jpg

Don't deal with Arctic Silver? What are ya, some kinda wuss?:D

All this being said, there maybe some things I can try. Perhaps the cooler should not be tightened down the way the instructions say. Perhaps the compression is pushing the core away from the cooler as the shim bows in. I may try loosening the cooler to se if it helps the OC.

It's always a crapshoot but if you only allow yourself to enjoy the experience when everything turns up roses then you won't enjoy the hobby very much IMHO.

Great review! I was wondering about that switch too, every review I've read never mentions it in the install, it always looked alittle too low to me. Nice to hear about the memory too.

Originally posted by Icewindius
The gap looked almost flat on my Hercules so I left my shim on.
Question, did you tighten the screws all the way so that the metal clip hit the rubber washers?

If I remember correctly, yeah I was able to crank em down to the PCB. I think I actually recal loosening them somewhat as I cranked it down too hard. Sucks I lost my back heastink as a result of the VGA silencer, but owell...

Originally posted by BrainC0DE
but that extra 5mhz clock is pretty sad..
I agree, but what am I going to do, whine about it?

In all seriousness, I'm willing to take advice for possible things to check.

jmcmike...

Nice review, bro! Just need a few more pictures of the thing (like what it looks like before installed, the pictures of any problems, etc.

It was great to see a good, honest review from a fellow enthusiest.

-Skystalker

Originally posted by Skystalker
Just need a few more pictures of the thing
Well I did take a few shots after assembly but my digicam is such a joke that I wasn't going to post them. But I guess I can spare some humility. Here goes:

2004-01-05-9800-Pro-VGASilencer-1.jpg

Here you can see how the ramsinks just barely clear and how I moved the power cord a bit to clear one ramsink.

2004-01-05-9800-Pro-VGASilencer-2.jpg

2004-01-05-9800-Pro-VGASilencer-3.jpg

Perhaps the compression is pushing the core away from the cooler as the shim bows in.
That shouldn't happen since there is a "nub" that sits in the middle of the bracket on the back the presses on the back of the GPU to prevent this exact thing from happening.

My install went OK and cleared my ramsinks, it's a great peice $25. I've been able to run mine up to 450/375 without problems.

where have you guys been buying the silencers??? they look awesome and for the price listed on the site, it looks like a steal.

Originally posted by Mrel
where have you guys been buying the silencers??? they look awesome and for the price listed on the site, it looks like a steal.
I got mine from SVC

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might check to see why I can't get more out of the core?

Originally posted by tuskenraider
That shouldn't happen since there is a "nub" that sits in the middle of the bracket on the back the presses on the back of the GPU to prevent this exact thing from happening.
Interesting, I didn't notice that. I'll check it out later.

Just installed mine w/ some ocz aluminum ramsinks onto my ATI AIW 9800 PRO

Rocking XT Speeds now (412/365) no problem, games run a bit better then stock.

I DID NOT REMOVE THE SHIM, my core was level if not a bit higher then my shim, i checked this by teeter tottering a credit card over the gpu and shim, it rocked very slightly indicating that the gpu was a hair higher then my shim :)

Havn't bothered to try and clock higher then this yet. I just really bought these because I noticed the puny stock coole rand ram without heatsinks was DAMN hot after playing desert combat for a few hours.

oops and also I DID NOT TIGHTEN ALL THE WAY TO THE WASHERS
that is way to scary, i think there is 1.5 mm between the washer and the metal bracket right now and it seesm damn sturdy!

I got my REV B cooler at http://www.frontierpc.com since its local to me.

Originally posted by smatts
oops and also I DID NOT TIGHTEN ALL THE WAY TO THE WASHERS
that is way to scary, i think there is 1.5 mm between the washer and the metal bracket right now and it seesm damn sturdy!

Hehe yeah me too. I got one side down almost all the way, but the other side is a little higher. At one point while tightening it I heard a crack and thought the PCB snapped! That turned out not to be the case luckily but it was a clear sign not to go any more.

I don't overclock, I just wanted a quiet reliable replacement fan for my 9800 Pro, since my first card the fan died after a month. This was the replacement card and I put the VGA cooler on immediately. So far so good, and it runs perfectly at stock speed with the fan on the lower setting.

is it just me or do i feel like i just made it out like a bandit.

I got the VGA silencer, OCZ Bga ramsinks, and 3.0g of Arctic Alumina for $37 shipped.

Originally posted by Mrel
is it just me or do i feel like i just made it out like a bandit.

I got the VGA silencer, OCZ Bga ramsinks, and 3.0g of Arctic Alumina for $37 shipped.

isnt it great...

I am thinking of getting this vga cooler for my Sapphire 9800Pro Atlantis. Anyone knows if it will fit? Also any improvement in case temps after installation?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by venomrat
Also any improvement in case temps after installation?
I haven't measured my case temps to compare but it has to be making a difference. All you need to do to convince yourself is feel the hot air being blown out the back of the cooler instead of being recirculated inside the case.

Samson: I didn't see what version drivers you're using . I'm getting good overclocking on my 9500Pro using the Omega 3.10. Mine has the 3.6Hynix so my memory is the bottleneck. Maybe try a driver mod.

Icewindius: Where'd you get those memory heat sinks on you're 9800 ?

Ice on the way...

-RJ.

Originally posted by RDJ
Samson: I didn't see what version drivers you're using . I'm getting good overclocking on my 9500Pro using the Omega 3.10. Mine has the 3.6Hynix so my memory is the bottleneck. Maybe try a driver mod.
I assume you're addressing me (SAMSON is my rig's name)

I am using the Omega drivers based off Catalyst 3.10

Originally posted by jmcmike
Anyone have any ideas as to what I might check to see why I can't get more out of the core?

R350s love voltage, you won't get a high OC at stock.

Originally posted by 101
R350s love voltage, you won't get a high OC at stock.
Well, I don't see myself volt-modding this thing any time soon but thanks for the input.

At one point while tightening it I heard a crack and thought the PCB snapped!

heh i took mine out to try and tighten itup some more and i also heard a very scary CRACK, no idea what it was, nothing looks broken, and the card still runs fine!

i think its the rear clip that makes that noise dunno why.

Originally posted by venomrat
I am thinking of getting this vga cooler for my Sapphire 9800Pro Atlantis. Anyone knows if it will fit? Also any improvement in case temps after installation?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but anyone tried this cooler on a Sapphire Atlantis 9800 Pro? Mine looks like it came with the standard ATI cooler.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i've installed the VGA Silencer (rev2) to my MSI Radeon 9800pro and i'm having one major issue with it and that's the blue cover / metal clip.. I think i broke it while screwing it onto the card. It's supposed to bend according to the instructions, but the metal clip sorta tore at it's sides. The instructions also say that i should screw until the clip touches the washers! :mad:

As things are now, there's still 1-2mm gap and the clip is half-broken. Could you guys give me some help regarding this.. should i tighten one down at a time or both slowly? how much is enough?

If you have any pictures of your blue cover / metal / screws etc i'd appreciate it!

I just noticed on thoes side shots that there isn't really slot of clearance for that capacitors. It looks like its pretty much sitting right on them. Would a card using electrolytic capacitors (MSI RX9800XXL) be able to have a vga silencer? I dunno, from the pic of the board the electrolytic capacitors seem taller then the metallized film ones on all the other boards?

I also wrote a lengthy review. You might want to check it out if you want a second opinion.

Sorry Enig, I don't have close-up images of the blue retaining clip. Arctic Cooling says the VGA Silencer does not fit on the Radeon 9800XT.

Back