VGA cooler/silencer for PNY 6800

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
I'll assume I'd want to replace the cooler on the video card. I'm just not sure which is the best. The NV Silencers look kinda shoddy. I dunno. Any ideas?

i dunno about the 6800's, but the silencer for the x800's is reeaaally popular right now. Not to mention the HIS Excalibur and Sapphire Toxic x800's ship with these coolers on them. If that's not good enough for you, get a water block :p

i think the silencers look like their good. then again im not getting one. my leadtek cooler works just as well, and is almost as quiet

There is a performance review here which tested a 6800U and GT with the NV Silencer 5 vs. the stock GPU fans.

The GT ran 10C cooler @ idle and 17C cooler @ load with the silencer. Very impressive. I want one. :)

Not sure if this performance would translate to the 6800 or not.

i found that their temps were somewhat like my temps w/ the Leadtek cooling solution. so im sticking w/ that untill i get some comparison temps between a leadtek and a silencer

Wait, the NV Silencer 5 will fit on a regular 6800, right? I'm thinking about going with the Leadtek, though, which seems to have a pretty nice copper heatsink already. The PNY one looks rather wimpy.

GJSNeptune said:
Wait, the NV Silencer 5 will fit on a regular 6800, right? I'm thinking about going with the Leadtek, though, which seems to have a pretty nice copper heatsink already. The PNY one looks rather wimpy.

Yes, the 5 will fit on the 6800, GT and Ultra.

My PNY 6800GT hits 82C under load, same as the BFG 6800 GT tested in that review. Except for the label, the BFG GPU cooler looks identical to the PNY GPU cooler.

So I'm definately going to get a NV Silencer 5, as soon as someone gets it in stock.

will the silencer interfere with the northbridge if it's located right next to the agp slot? take the msi neo plat. for example

if you have a non stock NB cooler. i have a ledtek 6800 GT that covers about 1/4 of the NB. the stock cooler is short enough that it doesnt contact the cooler. just make shure it doesnt overheat(good airflow is a MUST w/ a 2 slot cooler on the neo plat. only big gripe against the board. that and the stock nb cooler sucks. but its stable at 230 htt, 690 ht, ect.

Back