VGA 6pin into ATX 6pin

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
First time I have done this by accident. They are pin compatible (WHY?) and I didn't even realize I did it. The computer booted the same with each cable (are they the same power?)
I have this Asus Z170-e that I have been desperately trying to get it to post after I received it back from the retailer who did a bios update for it to be compatible with the Celeron 3930 I bought with it.
After pulling it in and out of the case and putting it on the work bench so many times I just automatically grabbed the first 6pin and plugged it in. Did i do damage?
If not any idea how to get this thing to post? I am getting no LED error codes.

I'm not sure what an ATX 6-pin is, but neither the PCIe (I assume that's what you mean by VGA) 6 pin nor the PCIe 8 pin will fit into any of the other ATX connectors that I do know of (20, 24, 20+4, 4, 8) without a lot of force. So much force that you'd know you were doing something wrong. They're also NOT pin compatible, so if you did manage to get one in there, there'd immediately be lots of magic smoke loosed.

I'm not sure what an ATX 6-pin is, but neither the PCIe (I assume that's what you mean by VGA) 6 pin nor the PCIe 8 pin will fit into any of the other ATX connectors that I do know of (20, 24, 20+4, 4, 8) without a lot of force. So much force that you'd know you were doing something wrong. They're also NOT pin compatible, so if you did manage to get one in there, there'd immediately be lots of magic smoke loosed.
Hi Ryan.
I am talking about the ATX 12v connector. My EVGA PS's cords 6pin are 4+2 (the 8pin are 4+4 as usual). The labeled VGA/ATX are both 4+4 and look and plug the same. This is why it is the first time i have accidentally miss-plugged them. Not something I have had to worry about in the past.
No extreme force was used.
And like I said, they both booted the system the exact same.

Last edited:
First time I have done this by accident. They are pin compatible (WHY?) and I didn't even realize I did it. The computer booted the same with each cable (are they the same power?)
I have this Asus Z170-e that I have been desperately trying to get it to post after I received it back from the retailer who did a bios update for it to be compatible with the Celeron 3930 I bought with it.
After pulling it in and out of the case and putting it on the work bench so many times I just automatically grabbed the first 6pin and plugged it in. Did i do damage?
If not any idea how to get this thing to post? I am getting no LED error codes.
My mistake. I said 6pin. What I should have said was 4+4 pin. Sorry for the confusion.

Back