VF5 for 360 announced

Bad_Boy

2[H]4U
SEGA ANUNCIA VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 PARA XBOX 360

El espectacular juego de lucha de SEGA llega a la consola de nueva generación de Microsoft.

MADRID, LONDRES & SAN FRANCISCO (21 de Diciembre, 2006) – SEGA® of America Inc., SEGA® Europe Ltd hacen hoy público que el esperado juego de lucha de la compañía nipona, Virtua Fighter™ 5, contará con una versión para el sistema de entretenimiento Xbox 360™. Virtua Fighter™ 5 tiene previsto su lanzamiento en Europa y Norteamérica a finales de verano de 2007. La versión de PlayStation®3 de este título se pondrá a la venta el 20 de Febrero de 2007 en Estados Unidos y acompañará el lanzamiento europeo de la consola en Marzo.

“Aquellos afortunados que ya han podido jugar con Virtua Fighter™ 5 saben que va a convertirse en el referente de los juegos de lucha en la nueva generación de consolas”, comenta Matt Woodley, Director Creativo de SEGA Publishing Europe Ltd. “Lanzar Virtua Fighter™ 5 para Xbox 360™ es posible dado que contamos con una plataforma con la potencia necesaria para gestionar los impresionantes gráficos y los complejos y variados estilos de lucha de los personajes que combatirán en nuestra pantalla, por no mencionar a los aficionados de esta consola que están deseando disfrutar de un juego de lucha de primera categoría.”

En Virtua Fighter™ 5 veremos escenarios preciosistas e increíblemente detallados, evocando localizaciones de todos los rincones del mundo, en los que 17 expertos en artes marciales se enfrentarán cara a cara. Los combates, más estratégicos y técnicos que nunca, ofrecen al jugador la oportunidad de emplear los nuevos “Movimientos Ofensivos” para derribar a sus rivales desde diferentes ángulos de ataque, lo que añade una nueva dimensión al juego y supone toda una novedad tanto para principiantes como veteranos de Virtua Fighter™ 5. El juego también permite personalizar a los protagonistas seleccionando toda una colección de accesorios desbloqueables.

“La saga Virtua Fighter™ de SEGA es una de las más prestigiosas en la historia de los videojuegos”, afirma Jeff Bell, Vicepresidente Corporativo de Marketing en la División de Entretenimiento Interactivo de Microsoft. “Se trata de una franquicia que ha crecido con el tiempo y cuenta con una legión de fans en todo el mundo, además de estar excelentemente considerada por la crítica. Los aficionados a los juegos de lucha están ansiosos por probar Virtua Fighter™ 5 y estamos orgullosos de traer este excepcional juego a Xbox 360 de la mano de SEGA”

Desarrollado en Tokio por el prestigioso equipo AM R&D Development No.2, Virtua Fighter™ 5 para Xbox 360™ estará disponible en Europa y Norteamérica a finales de verano de 2007.
I think that says end of the summer for 360, Feb 20th for PS3, not sure. Any one know spanish? :)

If this is true, I know atleast 2 guys who won't be buying a PS3. They were holding out solely for this game.

Anyways I wonder what the VF5 stick for 360 will look like, I wouldnt dare touch it with the d-pad.

Surprising as it is, it seems to be true - the press release has been seen in multiple languages and sites at this point, and that's a little elaborate for a common hoax.

The release delay compared to the PS3 is a little saddening, but at least the port is being done in-house - it'll come out pretty nicely. Hori has a stick out for the 360 that's pretty good, so the controls shouldn't be such a big deal.

erwos said:
The release delay compared to the PS3 is a little saddening, but at least the port is being done in-house - it'll come out pretty nicely. Hori has a stick out for the 360 that's pretty good, so the controls shouldn't be such a big deal.
Nice, you have a picture/link of it? Havent seen that before. I was thinking about getting a custom stick made. My college has tournaments for video games, tekken/virtua fighter/ soul calibur. I usually stick to tekken (my favorite game ever), but I could see myself getting into VF5.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow. I think Sony is gonna start flippin' through "Assassins 'R Us" now. This is what, the 4th, 5th previous Sony exclusive to poof?

Wow. I think Sony is gonna start flippin' through "Assassins 'R Us" now. This is what, the 4th, 5th previous Sony exclusive to poof?

Easy there tiger. There hasn't even been a source posted.

That's cool. I'm kind of disheartened at the fact that it's no longer a PS3 exclusive but at the same time I can easily see why they're doing it. Tecmo has next to no competition for DOA, and Sega now has the opportunity to trump them with a vastly superior fighting game.

I wasn't planning on getting it anyway, though, because I found VF4 to be extremely tough and... aggravating, to say the least (although I still have it, but haven't touched it for quite some time).
I'll stick to my Tekken.
Here's hoping that remains an exclusive... :eek:

The18thLetter said:
I wasn't planning on getting it anyway, though, because I found VF4 to be extremely tough and... aggravating, to say the least (although I still have it, but haven't touched it for quite some time).
I'll stick to my Tekken.
Here's hoping that remains an exclusive... :eek:

VF is definintely a different type of fighter than doa or tekken. DOA4 took it even further so I'm psyched to see a more strategic fighter on its way to 360. This lacks online play though doesn't it?

I think the 360's headstart is really turning out to be a big advantage. The install base it has over the PS3 is one of the main reasons why all of these publishers are joining both teams. That and the fact that these games cost a shit ton to make, and they want to maximize profits. Of course those reasons go hand and hand.

Right now I don't see Sony holding on to many exclusives, unless they're made by in house development teams that get paid by Sony. Most third parties are going to look at their options and say "Well with the PS3 we have maybe half a million potential customers right now, whereas with the 360 we have 9 million potential customers, but of course if we go with both we have 9.5 million potential customers. Yeah I think we'll go with option 3." But even if they go option 1, they still have nearly 20 times the potential purchases.

The outlook is pretty grim for the PS3 at this point, they've put themselves in a very big hole by launching a year later, only time will tell if they have the muscle to pull themselves out.

Sega probably needs to sell 750k - 1 million VF5's to make a profit on it, because it probably has a pretty high dev cost. The PS3 will be lucky to have that many total, and everyone isn't going to buy VF5.

This is basically the only move Sega can make aside from delaying the game, which is pointless if it is done. Porting it and releasing it on 360 is the easiest way to assure a profit. I dont think it is really the late start that is hurting Sony, but their inability to manufacture the consoles which is really hurting them.

Well yeah, it's probably a combination of the two. I mean, I'm sure they'd sell more if they had more manufactured, but I don't think they'd blow through even 3 million by the end of this year if they could push that many out.

Erasmus354 said:
Sega probably needs to sell 750k - 1 million VF5's to make a profit on it, because it probably has a pretty high dev cost. The PS3 will be lucky to have that many total, and everyone isn't going to buy VF5.

I highly doubt they would need to sell 750K, let alone 1 million, to turn a profit. If that was true, Virtua Fighter 5 would be one of the most expensive games ever made.

Everyone saw this coming eventually. 360 has the user-base that Sony just might not be able to reach, ever. And with developers porting these games to the 360, Sony will never get the user-base needed to be number 1.

You can say "oh but it's only been out a month," but if the developers see this, then they changed their original forecasts for the Ps3 greatly.

Personally i liked VF2, but it wasn't the end all fighting game. Hell, i don't really play fighting games too much so i could care less. Only fighting games I can really enjoy are the Vs. series. And i also think that about 80% of casual gamers don't care about VF5 either.

Virtua Fighter halved the popularity of Street Fighter and variants in Japan when it debuted back in '94, but it hasn't really taken off in the west. Arcades just couldn't afford Sega's Model 1 hardware, and the arcade scene has only declined further since then.

Outside of Japan, gamers seem to largely to prefer Tekken and Soul Calibur when it comes to 3D fighters, but it looks like Sega wants all the profit it can get.

There goes that link again....haha. I count 5.645 bajillion times that has been posted

Truthfully after the genesis I don't know anyone personally who likes this game even the same amount asother popular fighters. I personally don't play fighters that often though.
Plus the delay is harsh....people who are crazy about exclusives are going to want it first, so I think people will still buy the PS3 for the game. I don't know, maybe not....console extreme players usually get pretty crazy.

But, I wonder what people will say if the graphics for the 360 and its performance are not as good for the PS3 since the port is going from Sony to MS instead of the other way around. Should be interesting.

CopyCat said:
But, I wonder what people will say if the graphics for the 360 and its performance are not as good for the PS3 since the port is going from Sony to MS instead of the other way around. Should be interesting.
They're both being ported from the arcade version. As it stands the PS3 port is based on the version 'B' arcade revision and the 360 is getting the version 'C'.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200612/075.asp

K600 said:
I highly doubt they would need to sell 750K, let alone 1 million, to turn a profit. If that was true, Virtua Fighter 5 would be one of the most expensive games ever made.

Was it Namco that said they need to sell 500k units just to break even?

You need to keep in mind they need to recoup dev costs, while the media costs more, and Sony and retailers take nearly a third of the price of the game right off the top. Very little of the game is actually towards making a profit.

Well I don't know what the budget for this game was, but it seems like they should make a profit relatively quickly. If Sega earns just $20 per copy and it sells a million copies, that's 20 million dollars. I doubt the game cost nearly that much to make considering it's an arcade port instead of starting completely from scratch. The new metal gear game and such are 20 million dollar titles. They probably put these VF5 ports out for relatively cheap. That's why they can afford to do an X360 version too. I think it will be a best hits seller on both systems.
There isn't another 3d fighting game that holds a candle to the Virtua Fighter series.
I only wish they had released part 5 to the US arcades. :(

CopyCat said:
What is the difference in the two versions?

Typically it's minor enhancements to the gameplay and balancing tweaks. Maybe if we're lucky version c will have something as cool as a new character. :D
The article made it sound like this has been in the works for a while.

Stereophile said:
Well I don't know what the budget for this game was, but it seems like they should make a profit relatively quickly. If Sega earns just $20 per copy and it sells a million copies, that's 20 million dollars. I doubt the game cost nearly that much to make considering it's an arcade port instead of starting completely from scratch. The new metal gear game and such are 20 million dollar titles. They probably put these VF5 ports out for relatively cheap. That's why they can afford to do an X360 version too. I think it will be a best hits seller on both systems.
There isn't another 3d fighting game that holds a candle to the Virtua Fighter series.
I only wish they had released part 5 to the US arcades. :(

There was a good article recently breaking down the price of Gears of War, and where each dollar goes to. About 1$ from every game sold goes towards the companies bottom line. Every thing else goes to cover development costs, licensing fees, media, packaging, advertising, etc...

I'm speaking in terms of revenue not profit.
Without knowing how much it cost them to make you can't really know either way.

Stereophile said:
I'm speaking in terms of revenue not profit.
Without knowing how much it cost them to make you can't really know either way.

Revenue means nothing without profit...

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps...me06_1219expensivegames.html?partner=yahootix

For the companies that do put next-generation titles out early, making a profit is tough. Namco Bandai president Takeo Takasu said his company needs to sell at least 500,000 copies of each PlayStation 3 game it creates to make a profit. Analysts predict that some other publishers will need to clear 1 million units to get in the black--and start making about $1 per game sold.

So from Forbes, and Namco Bandai. Most Next Gen games need between 500k - 1000k units sold before they break even. After that they make about 1$ profit per game sold. I figured VF5 being a high profile game was probably more towards the higher end of the spectrum in terms of development costs.

Erasmus354 said:
So from Forbes, and Namco Bandai. Most Next Gen games need between 500k - 1000k units sold before they break even. After that they make about 1$ profit per game sold. I figured VF5 being a high profile game was probably more towards the higher end of the spectrum in terms of development costs.

A fighter should be on the lower spectrum of dev costs... No immersive environments, limited characters, AI, etc.

RPGs are the most expensive. I would imagine that platformers would follow with FPS coming in a little after that.

Erasmus354 said:
Revenue means nothing without profit...

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps...me06_1219expensivegames.html?partner=yahootix

This is *exactly* right, and is precisely why publishers are jumping headfirst into Wii right now. It's cheaper to develop for, it's selling like hotcakes and it *is* the consumer buzzword of the year for gaming. In the end, publishers will publish where they can make the most profit, regardless of system features or horsepower. Nintendo looks to have made the best choices so far, with Microsoft a close second and Sony...well, not so much on the good choices this gen...

Development cost can't be THAT high. Take it for what it is, but it's a fighting game sequel. No matter how different they bother to make it, it's still 75% the same as the last few VF games. I'm a fighting game nut, but the same applies to Tekken and SF, too. They don't fix what isn't broken after all.
As for this game, I'll likely get it. I've never been a huge VF fan, but it's a zillion times better than DOA.
Seems as though the PS3 has Tekken locked down and the SF series is only living on via compilations and and "classic" ports. With the fighting genre being all but dead, I'll have to live with it.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
VF is definintely a different type of fighter than doa or tekken. DOA4 took it even further so I'm psyched to see a more strategic fighter on its way to 360. This lacks online play though doesn't it?
Yes sir. That's another thing that turned me off about VF4 for PS3... kind of a step back, no?

Domingo said:
Development cost can't be THAT high. Take it for what it is, but it's a fighting game sequel. No matter how different they bother to make it, it's still 75% the same as the last few VF games. I'm a fighting game nut, but the same applies to Tekken and SF, too. They don't fix what isn't broken after all.
As for this game, I'll likely get it. I've never been a huge VF fan, but it's a zillion times better than DOA.
Seems as though the PS3 has Tekken locked down and the SF series is only living on via compilations and and "classic" ports. With the fighting genre being all but dead, I'll have to live with it.

Thats right I forgot, people usually spend the most time and effort fine tuning the gameplay in fighters. Those piddly little things like graphics engines, textures, artwork, programming, they're not really all that time consuming or important.

Sure the game is a sequel, but that doesn't mean a lot of work didn't go into it. Also I know it is an arcade game, but you can't seriously think that Sega made a profit from the arcade version. Arcades are all but extinct in America, and the market, while larger, still isn't what it used to be in Asia/Europe. VF5 was developed for the arcade with every intention of porting it to consoles and turn it profitable.

BWAHAHAHAHA! Another lost exclusive. Glad I already bought my X360 and Wii...all the good games are coming to me faster than I can count. Admittedly, my hoof tapping isn't what it used to be...1...2...DAMMIT!

I know that I am excited about this. VF took a lot of my quarters back in the early nineties.

Erasmus354 said:
Thats right I forgot, people usually spend the most time and effort fine tuning the gameplay in fighters. Those piddly little things like graphics engines, textures, artwork, programming, they're not really all that time consuming or important.

Sure the game is a sequel, but that doesn't mean a lot of work didn't go into it. Also I know it is an arcade game, but you can't seriously think that Sega made a profit from the arcade version. Arcades are all but extinct in America, and the market, while larger, still isn't what it used to be in Asia/Europe. VF5 was developed for the arcade with every intention of porting it to consoles and turn it profitable.

Compare this to a new game, though. Lets do a quick rundown of the animations...oh wait, they're still 95% the same since VF3 and epecially #4. How about the control scheme? Yup, check. Characters? Yup, 90% of them have been there since VF3. The game's an upgrade. It's a step above an expansion pack, but it's FAR from a new game.
I'm not saying it's a freebie, but compare this to a new game like Zelda or Gears of War. It's like being told to build a house, but being allowed to use perfectly good framework and a garage that's already there. Unless you're talking SF2 to SF3 (a "true" sequel with almost nothing ported from earlier games), this is always the case with fighting games.

Back