vExpert Applications Are Open!

This is the main community contribution I do (other than VMworld and a couple of VMUGs).

Do it. I bet you do. You do a ton here (and that counts) plus the Twitters and anything VMUG/VMworld related. That's more than most.

I'm going to really focus on being a bigger part of the community both here, twitter, and I really need to put more effort in my blog with content and promotion. I really just got to a good place with work/life balance and now I have some time that I can commit to some bigger goals.

Hopefully next year i'll have a shot.

I'm going to really focus on being a bigger part of the community both here, twitter, and I really need to put more effort in my blog with content and promotion. I really just got to a good place with work/life balance and now I have some time that I can commit to some bigger goals.

Hopefully next year i'll have a shot.

Do it now. They are taking applications quarterly now so you don't have to wait a year.

I really love that VMware does this even though I'm a bit intimated by it. Seeing people like Duncan Epping, Jason Nash, Frank Denneman, etc, etc, etc get this award - people on top of the top then I'm like "huh what can I do or share that they haven't?". Nonetheless still very neat that VMware does this year after year.

Keep up the good work guys!

I really love that VMware does this even though I'm a bit intimated by it. Seeing people like Duncan Epping, Jason Nash, Frank Denneman, etc, etc, etc get this award - people on top of the top then I'm like "huh what can I do or share that they haven't?". Nonetheless still very neat that VMware does this year after year.

Keep up the good work guys!

Well. Thank you. :) You put me in some damn good company. But really, there are a ton of vExperts that people never hear from. They help with VMUGs, they blog but don't promote, etc. I think VMware does the best at this. EMC is working hard on their EMC Elect and Cisco has their Champion program...but VMware does the best job of making it feel like a community.

I agree WoodiE. It's even more difficult during times like PEX and VMworld when they release so much content that was under NDA that it almost makes it very difficult to make original content. I tend to think that while what I put up may not be super original or may not have required deep thinking, it just helps create more ways for someone to get the info they need about a topic. Taking time out of your day to put up content, no matter what it is, is still better than not putting out anything at all. The vExpert award to me is just a community award, given out to those that help make this community as strong as it is. If you do any content or put up any of your time outside of what you normally do, I would apply.

I agree WoodiE. It's even more difficult during times like PEX and VMworld when they release so much content that was under NDA that it almost makes it very difficult to make original content. I tend to think that while what I put up may not be super original or may not have required deep thinking, it just helps create more ways for someone to get the info they need about a topic. Taking time out of your day to put up content, no matter what it is, is still better than not putting out anything at all. The vExpert award to me is just a community award, given out to those that help make this community as strong as it is. If you do any content or put up any of your time outside of what you normally do, I would apply.

First, don't think everything has to be original. Often a good post is your opinion of how a new feature or change will impact customer use. So post away. Also, and I tell this to a lot of my guys when they start blogging... Most people over estimate the reader. My most popular blog posts are the simple ones. Solving simple problems or covering a topic (like VDS) that interests people. Not everything has to be some super new feature or complex situation.

Well I took your recommendation and applied. We'll see what happens. Worse case I don't get chosen which will make me work harder and put more time in... So win win I guess.

I try not to reiterate content on my blog if I know the topic has been covered and give credit to those that have covered it but I do agree you can certainly post about common topics that have been covered because others may see things differently and have an alternative opinion not necessarily the wrong one.

I can certainly think of a few that classify in the vExpert category here like CoW, dasaint, Qhalo, of course lopoetve and NJ..

Last edited:
I'm planning on starting a blog that talks about both VMware and Hyper-V from a technical, objective perspective. That pretty much disqualifies me for being a vExpert I'd imagine. :)

It's not always about what you are saying but how you say it. I've read multiple sites on the same issue because they all had a little bit of something to offer.

I'm planning on starting a blog that talks about both VMware and Hyper-V from a technical, objective perspective. That pretty much disqualifies me for being a vExpert I'd imagine. :)

Never. I work with OpenStack, Azure, and Hyper-V every day. All hybrid cloud man - I care far less about the hypervisor than the management stack these days.

Back