VESA adds Adaptive-Sync to DP Standard

I doubt it will be final.

But it most certainly will be the usual onslaught of fud, misdirection, and out right marginalization.....

Do any of you still get lcd blur on 2ms~5ms lcd panels ? haven't seen that in years but that's what ppl on forums say will save gsink-hole.

Do any of you still get lcd blur on 2ms~5ms lcd panels ? haven't seen that in years but that's what ppl on forums say will save gsink-hole.

Black to black, or grey to grey? I'm still stuck on a TN panel with 5ms b2b and 2ms g2g because every time I check out nicer(IPS) monitors they have a higher response time and noticeable ghosting, it's been about a year since I've checked out monitors in person but I haven't seen anything to indicate that the situation has changed. I think it's one of those things that is more noticeable to some people.

It's interesting that AMD claims it has less of a performance hit than G-Sync since that's the exact opposite of what many Nvidia fans have been spouting ad-nauseam. Obviously the claims should be taken with a grain of salt but it will be interesting to see the claims tested by an independent party.

Freesync doesn't use triple buffering as ppl have been saying as fact so thats good and no input lag.

I ve been using a 2ms g2g TN panel as well, great image , shitty viewing angles :D
IPS 8ms nah..... i'd only get a 5ms or bust!

time will tell , will be a good read i'm sure

Freesync doesn't use triple buffering as ppl have been saying as fact so thats good and no input lag.

I ve been using a 2ms g2g TN panel as well, great image , shitty viewing angles :D
IPS 8ms nah..... i'd only get a 5ms or bust!

time will tell , will be a good read i'm sure

Back when I got my Dell 2007wfp, it had less ghosting than some comparable TN panels.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/20-inch-ws-dell-2007wfp-vs-samsung-sm205bw/8/

Obviously things have changed a bit since then but if you find a good non-TN panel, the response time shouldn't affect the IQ.

AMD demonstrates FreeSync at Computex:
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...ync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

One very interesting part of the article is that they used an existing monitor and replaced its firmware for this demo (emphasis in original):
pcper said:
The monitor is running at 2560x1440 and is the very first working prototype of the new standard. Even more interesting, this is a pre-existing display that has had its firmware updated to support Adaptive Sync. That's potentially exciting news! Monitors COULD BE UPGRADED to support this feature, but AMD warns us: "...this does not guarantee that firmware alone can enable the feature, it does reveal that some scalar/LCD combinations are already sufficiently advanced that they can support some degree of DRR (dynamic refresh rate) and the full DPAS (DisplayPort Adaptive Sync) specification through software changes."

So maybe FreeSync can work with some existing monitors in a limited capacity (e.g. watching videos without 3:2 pulldown).

Well this is moving along faster than I would have thought, good to see.

AMD demonstrates FreeSync at Computex:
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...ync-Monitor-DisplayPort-Adaptive-Sync-Feature

One very interesting part of the article is that they used an existing monitor and replaced its firmware for this demo (emphasis in original):

So maybe FreeSync can work with some existing monitors in a limited capacity (e.g. watching videos without 3:2 pulldown).

I sure hope so. I currently have 3 dell u2713s and I'd prefer not to have to drop another 1500 bucks on monitors when this becomes a thing.

If it takes 12 months then I was 100% accurate. As usual.

Old post, but I like to stir the hornets nest.

Your estimation was 1-2 years. Thus you are not 100% accurate, you are 50% accurate. Thus your predictive prowess is rivalled by a coin toss.

As usual.

I sure hope so. I currently have 3 dell u2713s and I'd prefer not to have to drop another 1500 bucks on monitors when this becomes a thing.
Sorry to squash your hopes, but I expect that you will have to shop for monitors that are upgradeable (like the Nixeus VUE-27D in AMD's demo). You probably won't be able to upgrade any random monitor for Adaptive-Sync.

The firmware upgrade possibility only concerns people who want to get their hands on an Adaptive-Sync as early as possible, and not wait till Q1 when officially certified monitors reach the market.

Back