Very wierd problem...

gs274

[H]ard|Gawd
So, pc is listed in sig...I've been trying to set an automated backup for the past few day (just lost a 500gb hdd loaded with disc images). After a couple hours of no activity other than the backup software (which is running on a server not on the problem machine) I'll come back to find the keyboard dark and am unable to get any response from the machine either via the mouse OR keyboard. The lcd poster is still running the time, the hdd's show no activity and the server machine says it's lost connection. I do a hard reset and no error's are listed in the event viewer and the machine runs fine, I've run it under load for hours at a time and nothing. TBH I've worked as a pc tech for almost 10 years now and this one has me at a loss for even where to start.

If inspection of the system doesnt turn up anything, you're best off getting more information when/if it happens again.
If it doesnt happen again it doesnt matter, but just in case...

If the server can afford the overhead, use Performance Monitor to watch and log what is happening under the hood.
You will likely want to log a lot, so take care not to overload the server if its in production.
It may be necessary to split the logging tasks up between multiple attempts.
Its a good idea to add a spare drive and have the logs written to that so the log writing wont impact any other drives performance.

Funny thing, last night I turned on performance monitor on the gaming machine, and while it's done it EVERY time I've tried to do this, last night it didn't. I swear it's screwing with me.

Gremlins. I'm sure we've all run into problems that magically fix themselves... and I absolutely hate those situations :(

Back