Very werid problem, maybe a grounding issue with my case?

shoman24v

Limp Gawd
I just built a new PC and kept some of my spare parts to to use on it (case, HDs, PSU). A while back I had developed a problem where my computer wouldn't turn on. After some striking of the power button it would eventually come on. Well, it came to the point where pushing the power button did nothing and I didn't have a switch on the back to power down that PSU. I figured it was dead and replaced with what I have now. Before I rebuilt my PC I was still experiencing this problem even with the new PSU. I would hit the power switch, hear the PC barely come on then die. The only way to get it to turn back on was to hit the on/off switch on the back of the PSU. Well, now with my new setup it's doing it again, except that when it does it on my new motherboard it throws codes that I have to clear which forces me to reset my CMOS via the switch on the rear. Doing this looses my bios settings....

Is there anyway I can fix this problem without having to buy a new case to troubleshoot it? (If it really is a grounding problem) I was thinking of sanding down the plate that hold ths the PSU that comes in contact with the case just to make sure that the contact is good.

I'm lost as to what the problem is and spending another $150 on a new case really isn't what I want to do.

Assemble it on a table top without the case. The power is momentary contact. If it turns on there it is something about the case or the installation into the case.

One of the main purposes of a ground is to facilitate the tripping of a circuit breaker in case of a dead fault. If you have a major malfunction of your PSU, the ground will guarantee the breaker to trip, assuming the breaker is good. I don't think a grounding problem would have any bearing on your situation.

Is the power switch good? You may want to try the paperclip trick to insure your button may not be the problem for starters.

Assemble it on a table top without the case. The power is momentary contact. If it turns on there it is something about the case or the installation into the case.

Seconded. Start with this and let us know the result. Make sure to use a non-conductive surface to put it on.

Intermittent problems are difficult. Still assemble on the table and leave it there going through power cycles until your satisfied it does or doesn't display the same problem. This might be several days worth of testing depending on how frequent it was happening in the case. If it looks like the problem is with the case it may be the power switch, cabling, or headers, as suggested. Be sure to use the right screws to mount everything. Don't over tighten. The board is probably fiber glass and can crack. It's unusual and shouldn't be a problem here but a board under compression can have internal shorts. Look carefully for clearance of screw heads, protruding leads, etc. Unpowered, with a meter connected the power leads push on various things and see if you can create a short. This may give a clue where to look. It's a little more risky, but you can do this powered too. If it was going to be damaged by this it probably already is.If you just can't find it you may need a new case.

Back