Very weird video card problem...

higney85

n00b
I have a laptop with an ATI 9000 64mb card (i know it sucks but its the best I can get). The problem is that during games the framerates are extremely slow and Jerky. The graphics are Ok but the performance is not there. Just a few days ago I was playing games with much better framerates and no jerkyness. Even benchmarking software works but at a really slow rate. I have a spare ATI9000 32mb that I swapped in and the problem was even worse so I do not think it is the card. My desktop and web pages look fine- I am typing this from my laptop- but cannot figure out what the problem is. I have tried different games- same prob, I have used a driver cleaner to uninstall the driver and have tried the Omega driver (same one I had been using) and didnt help, used driver cleaner again and installed manufacturers driver- not any better. I have reinstalled DX9b. I cannot think of anything else to do. All the software was put on fresh a week ago but there had been no probs. I also uninstalled all the benchmarking and video card tweaking software. The card was overclocked by about 10mhz core/memory so I do not think the card is damaged b/c others have the card tweaked 40+ mhz with no probs, also both cards had the problem at the stock speeds. I am really looking for ideas on how to fix this. Thanx

You might try running Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.
Could be spyware farging things up.
Just Google for them.

I use adaware regularly.... it came up with 4 ads- removed them and no luck. I called up DEll tech support and got the usual runaround of driver installation- did not work. I have no idea what is going on. Does anyone have ANY ideas to try?

Back