Very very quick question

V99

Gawd
My mate is currently building his computer right now.

He has a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, And plugged in his ATX power plug into the slot. And its to short. See picture

Whats up? Is it safe to turn on? :p

V99 said:
My mate is currently building his computer right now.

He has a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, And plugged in his ATX power plug into the slot. And its to short. See picture

Whats up? Is it safe to turn on? :p

If your mate has a power supply less than 400W and with a 12v rail of less than 18A then buy a new ATX 2.0 standard power supply with the 24pin connector.

If the ATX 1.0 power supply currently used is more than 400W and has the 18A minimum 12v rail then they could save somemoney and get a 20pin - 24pin adaptor cable

http://www.xpcgear.com/20to24pinatx.html

The extra pins are required to provide additional power to the PCI-E sockets which can supply more power to the PCI-E card/cards which can suck more juice than the older AGP cards could.

If they run 2 x 6600GT's in SLI or higher spec cards or even just 1 x 6800Ultra or 7800GTX series card then they should definately replace the power supply with something like a 500W ATX 2.0.

If you use the adaptor cable with high power load single or SLI connected cards you run the risk of burning out the 12v rail on the power supply as the card/cards could draw more load than the power supply can handle and then it's goodnight!

A good quality ATX 2.0 PSU is the safest option.

Well he just turned it on anyway... Works fine. He only has 1x6600GT though :)

V99 said:
Well he just turned it on anyway... Works fine. He only has 1x6600GT though :)

It will work with the 20 pin connector but I'd highly recommend he at least get's the 20 - 24pin adaptor for stability.

Back