Very strange video issue on cold start

I have a Dell T3500 with a GTX 750ti. The last two days after starting my PC cold, just as Windows 10 boots the screen flickers, lines appear, it lags, unusable because everything is distorted, only choice is to re start. It's like what I have heard described as what a failing video card "looks" like. I found out that once I restart one time, I have no issues.

This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I can try to take video, but is this the way video cards start to fail? Please tell me no

it can be the GPU or system RAM. so, I would try two things, first take out the GPU and clean it, sure that there are no bad contacts on the card (the ones that are inserted in the socket). and also take out the RAM and clean the contacts, ensure everything it's fine and then reseat everything again carefully, and see how it behave.

^^^ after doing this, can you get into safe mode without issue? If your video card was failing, you'd expect to see pretty constant artifacts across the board, especially when under any kind of load.

I'd recommend doing a DDU + video driver reinstall. DDU link: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Since the issue happens during the splash screen, video drivers would be loaded during this time, it makes me lean towards this.

Let us know how it goes, plenty more things to try :)

I'd say psu as aged and caps are not holding charge.. that's why later on it seems fine when they have charged up.

Thanks for the replies, I bought this Dell "refurbished" from New Egg and it's barely a year old. The GPU is only a year old with 98% of it's time just serving as a media server/web surfing. It runs cool and has never given trouble

new, this issue has only happened when I started my machine cold on the mornings of 22nd, and 21st.I thought it was the only issue, but I have noticed half the things in that can be right clicked on, won't show up or allow me to continue since everything went weird.

I can't even update my GPU driver in device manager, when I right click on check for updates, all I get is a blank box- things are just broke. I am trying to update drivers as I type this. I hope it's just that.

I had to do the "reset windows" option that thankfully is in W 10. I took a while and I had to reinstall a load of stuff, but it fixed whatever was wrong. I highly doubt it's anything hardware related.

I just played Rise of the Tomb Raider for a half hour and GPU temps are low, or do not exceed 60C. and AFAIK I just had some fuckery going on with windows, or maybe a worm. Oh, I need to make a restore point!

Also sounds like you have a little prob like I did back when thst went away after doing a fresh install of the latest version of Windows.

Graphics looks all messed up and Larry where pop up windows won't open up.. like the graphics card won't draw the items.

Here come find out it was some screen refresh issue. All I had to do was right click on the desktop and choose display properties.. then go change the refresh rate or acreen resolution and hit enter and then all was fine.. I would just cancel out of the changes so nothing would change.

All that happend after the first win10 big update came out.. like I said downloading the full version of Windows and reinstalling it all the problem a went away.. could be a simular issue with the new windows fall update.

Back