VERY strange SNP25 problems

poopman

Limp Gawd
So twice now I've run into BSOD's with the SNP25, once when there was an automatic update, to which removing the 1CPU line addition in the boot.ini seem to fix (makes no sense) and another tonight after installing the latest Nvidia 78.01 drivers for my 7800GTX.

I un-installed the drivers I was using, rebooted to perma BSOD, so I booted into safe mode, installed the latest drivers, voila no problems next boot. I proceed to log into WoW, no problems, then start playing Black and White 2. After playing for about 20 minutes my speakers pop, my computer Shuts off and the lights dim from the power surge (that seemed to be caused by my computer). I wait a few seconds, turn the system back on, fans go to high...no post and what looks like a gust of smoke blows out the left side fan (though I didn't smell any burnt components).

So at this point I'm like alright component testing, I pull the video card out, boot...no post but the fans go back to idle after the initial boot up. I pull everything out, put the video card back in, and the computer posts. I work with computers all day, why does my home system have to have the strangest freaking problems. My idle temps on my x2 are low 40's and high temps don't peak past 50 from what I can see. I'm assuming the smoke was just dust but as to what happened I'm left very confused.

Any thoughts? I do have the latest drivers from shuttle, the AMD x2 driver installed and the latest bios.

I dont know, that kind of sucks, try another outlet on another circuit

Sounds like coincidental power surge... What's the system plugged into?

Better not be the WALL... (grin)

You are probably right that you busted some dust loose. Did it smell like burnt electronics?

Sometimes you get away with it when you reseat components. Almost like it resets, then of course pulling the power cord will frequently do the same thing.

So it seems to be my 2nd hard drive (weird huh?). The system is running normally but I whenever i boot into windows normally I get a BSOD if the hard drive is plugged in. Luckily it's my data drive but I'm wondering what the hell is going on. the even WEIRDER thing is that if I boot to safe mode, the drive shows up fine and all the data is there. If I unplug the system, it will boot normally. Every time I plug the drive back in and boot, right before windows finishes loading the system BSOD's.

poopman said:
So it seems to be my 2nd hard drive (weird huh?). The system is running normally but I whenever i boot into windows normally I get a BSOD if the hard drive is plugged in. Luckily it's my data drive but I'm wondering what the hell is going on. the even WEIRDER thing is that if I boot to safe mode, the drive shows up fine and all the data is there. If I unplug the system, it will boot normally. Every time I plug the drive back in and boot, right before windows finishes loading the system BSOD's.
Don't use the included cables, use 3rd party cables.

Don't use the Nvidia IDE drivers, use the native XP drivers.

I use the native xp drivers already and swapped out the cables when I first built the sytem. I guess I just can't use that 2nd drive, bah!

Back