• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Very strange q6600 temps

gatomakato

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
93
I have a q6600 at stock speeds with a Zalman CNPS9500, eVGA 8800GT, ASUS pk5-e mobo, 4 1gb sticks of kingston ram, all in a thermaltake armor+ vh6000 case. When I'm just chatting and using the internet my core temps average 43C and my gpu temp is 55C. This seems a little high especially since I'm using a core voltage of 1.08v. When I am in TF2 or any other game my core temps go to 58-61C and my gpu goes to 60C. Does anyone have any idea why my core temps are so bad, all my fans are working fine and the case has no dust buildup at all.
 
A Q6600 is built on a 65nm process and they tend to put out a lot of heat. You didn't mention what your room temperature is and most importantly what the temperature is inside your case. From the info you've posted, your temperatures look well within the normal range. When gaming with your case closed, heat from your GPU will increase your CPU temperature too. As long as your computer is stable there's no need to be concerned about your core temperature. Intel CPUs take care of themselves very nicely.
 
Room is at..well room temperature. But I was looking to overclock slightly, and see that intel rates this cpu for a max temperature limit of 62.2C. What's the max limit most people use? Also I don't know what temperature my case it at. Reason I'm concerned is that my main rig which uses a Noctua NH-U12P heatsink idles at 38C at 3.0ghz.
 
These sensors are the least accurate at reporting idle temperatures. When you compare two different CPUs at idle, the numbers might be meaningless.

The 62C number is not a core temperature spec. That number is for system builders to design cases and is measured with a thermocouple embedded in the top of the heatspreader at the geometric center.

The core temperature can go up to almost 100C and as long as your computer is stable, it will keep running at full speed. I'm not recommending you run at that temperature 24/7 but you have a pile of head room so overclock your CPU until you lose stability or it starts to thermal throttle. Those are the only two things that you need to worry about.

Here's what a hot Quad looks like:

heattest.png


The OK in the Thermal Status area of RealTemp means that this CPU hasn't started to thermal throttle yet. If this temperature was a problem then Intel would design their CPUs to throttle back and slow down a little sooner. Intel isn't worried so at your present core temperature you don't need to worry either. This CPU is Prime stable at this temperature. When your CPU is running too hot, you won't be able to maintain Prime stability. If you're stable and not throttling, everything is good.

Edit: I've never run a Quad for an extended high temp torture test but I did run my E8400 with the heatsink fan unplugged to see what would happen.

hote8400fw5.png


3 hours later I got kind of bored with this test so I stopped it. Prime95 Small FFTs was still running just fine. This is a little too hot because it started to thermal throttle but it didn't affect stability any. The processor was smart enough to keep the maximum temperature below 100C which is the maximum safe junction temperature that this CPU is rated for. Only once in 3 hours did one core hit 100C and that was only for a second. The rest of the time this CPU was within spec and that's without the CPU fan running. If you turn the fan on your CPU then you can see that you have a long ways to go before your temps will become excessive.
 
Last edited:
Alright, thanks a lot for the info, I will try overclocking my computer later tonight.
 
Back
Top